Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Fast food Sticker shock

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Fast food Sticker shock

by Carla G » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:52 am

I eat 90% of my meals at home. The other 10% I'm treating myself, meeting others out or grabbing a quick bite while running errands. So yeah, not much eating out I guess since Covid hit.
Had a drive through McDonalds the other day on my way home and got a Quarter pounder, a fish sandwich and an order of fries. No drink. it was $14! And it was so mediocre I couldn't believe it. I am still kicking myself for having paid for it. On the other had, I visited the re-opened Steak 'N Shake at Springhurst, had a Double burger meal (w/fries and drink) it was $7.51. And it was not only delicious, it was picture perfect. As if it was to be photgraphed for advertising or something, not just slapped together and sliding apart.( A second trip later in the week resulted in the same top notch product. ) I did notice they had a sign that said "Tips are wecomed" I'm OK with that. I gladly tipped $2.50 bringing my meal total to $10 and I was very happy. Could it be that McDonalds are paying their help more per hour thus jacking up their menu pricing? I'd be OK with that too if the product didn't suck so. I realize because my individual orders were structured differently ( 2 individual sandwiches + fries VS a meal deal) that the McD's order would have cost more regardless. But geez, one decent sized sandwich + one pitiful block of fish the size of a deck of cards and a fry for $14? Just seems excessive. But, like I saud, I haven't been eating out that much so I'm not current on marketing trends.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Fast food Sticker shock

by James Natsis » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:07 pm

Its been like that for a while, Carla. Expect to pay north of $3 for a medium cup of decent (H-B, Starbucks, etc.) coffee as well.

Kids are getting paid $12-$14 per hour these days so the money has to come from somewhere. Portions have been trimmed already and maintaining a thin work staff makes it harder on everyone, workers as well as impatient customers.

People are willing to pay for it. $4 for an order of low food cost fries has Taco Bell seriously contemplating getting into the French fries business!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:13 pm

James Natsis wrote:Kids are getting paid $12-$14 per hour these days so the money has to come from somewhere.

Not from the CEO. His compensation package was over 20 million last year, nearly double the 10.8 mil that he made the year prior. That money has to come from somewhere. :)
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:46 pm

SilvioM wrote:
James Natsis wrote:Kids are getting paid $12-$14 per hour these days so the money has to come from somewhere.

Not from the CEO. His compensation package was over 20 million last year, nearly double the 10.8 mil that he made the year prior. That money has to come from somewhere. :)

A fantasy of mine would be to buy a pro sports team and then cap every salary at $200,000--players, coaches, or anyone. I'd do the same with controlling interest of a corporation such as McDo, Tesla, Amazon, etc--any personnel cap of $200,000, company car, purchase card for travel, and health and retirement benefits.

And I bet I'd have plenty of candidates and keep them all running profitably!
James J. Natsis
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:59 pm

James Natsis wrote:
People are willing to pay for it. $4 for an order of low food cost fries has Taco Bell seriously contemplating getting into the French fries business!

Actually, they do have fries now! I've seen advertisements recently on television for their "Nacho Fries". Probably won't be trying them but they have entered that market.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:26 am

Went to Waffle House out of desperation last night (long story) and two can dine for like $28 .. so yeah this inflation is a real thing
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:23 pm

The increase was 8.5% from last November to this in restaurant price increases, about 1.5 higher than the overall inflation rate.

My personal peeve is the house salad. If I can’t get a basic house or similar (not meal) salad for under $10 at mid level restaurants, then I skip it and I consider it a red flag about the rest of the menu prices as a whole. Come up with some variation for 5-8 bucks, make an effort! (i.e., Bristol, four small salad options from 5-7 bucks, $2 with a meal. Cheers to them.)
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:14 am

Pro tip! If you want to save money drink water.. my buddy had three kids and taught them to do this from birth, he saved enough to send them all to college.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:28 pm

Gary Guss wrote:Pro tip! If you want to save money drink water.. my buddy had three kids and taught them to do this from birth, he saved enough to send them all to college.

We certainly agree, used to be soft drinks were reasonably priced but nowadays their price's have skyrocketed. I guess the restaurant figure is a good place to make a little profit without raising the prices of food so much.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:17 am

"A fantasy of mine would be to buy a pro sports team and then cap every salary at $200,000--players, coaches, or anyone. I'd do the same with controlling interest of a corporation such as McDo, Tesla, Amazon, etc--any personnel cap of $200,000, company car, purchase card for travel, and health and retirement benefits. "- James Natsis

I wonder if capping saleries or earning levels will become a thing? I know it's done in other countries with the medical profession. Perhaps, in some way, it'll morph the restaurant industry? How would that work? COULD it work? Obviously simply raising prices and cutting quality and seving sizes cannot be expected to fix the upcoming pricing problem.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson