Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken

by Terri Beam » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:31 pm

I spied on my way to the office Christmas party a "coming soon" sign on Hurstbourne just south of Shelbyville Road (near Momma's Mustard, Pickles, & BBQ in what used to be PPG Paint building) for Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken. It's part of a chain, closest of which right now is Lexington. Reviews for the Lexington location are pretty favorable.

The only negative I can see is the location. I wouldn't make a left southbound on Hurstbourne there if someone paid me, unless it was decidedly out of rush hour. It's also a pretty small building.

Rather than post again, I also have spied something going in at the old Four Seasons location in Fern Creek, but as per the usual, catching a name on a small sign while flying by is next to impossible. It looks like a restaurant per the signage. There's a hot dog/corn dog/mac & cheese place going in at the Harley Center in Fern Creek as well, near the recently opened Jeff's Donuts.

It's a positive sign that small business owners are still taking a chance in a struggling economy to open new small eateries.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Re: Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken

by Kim H » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:39 pm

I saw this today too! Came on here to see if anyone had any additional info, particularly regarding the opening date. I didn't see anything on their website.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:28 am

Actually that building isn't as small as it looks from the street. It's quite narrow but really deep. I've been in it several times when it was the paint store.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:39 am

I LOVE Gus's!

We've been to three in Tennessee, and it's the perfect seasoning . . . "spicy" means "with flavor" (few if any would call it more than 2 on a 1-10 scale!), and it's all cooked fresh.

Can't wait!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:42 pm

Terri Beam wrote:I also have spied something going in at the old Four Seasons location in Fern Creek, but as per the usual, catching a name on a small sign while flying by is next to impossible. It looks like a restaurant per the signage.

This is going to be a bricks-and-mortar location for the Sweet & Juicy Seafood food truck. I believe it planned to open before Christmas, but I don't know if that's still the case. The Business First story is behind a paywall, but there's some information here:

https://foodanddine.com/sweet-juicy-sea ... ern-creek/

Also in that general area, Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers is taking over the old Frisch's location at 6209 Bardstown Road.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:47 pm

Rich S wrote:Also in that general area, Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers is taking over the old Frisch's location at 6209 Bardstown Road.

I wonder if they are going to level it and build from scratch or just do a major remodeling of the building like I did the one in Middletown that replaced a Capt. D's?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:40 pm

Mark R. wrote:I wonder if they are going to level it and build from scratch or just do a major remodeling of the building like I did the one in Middletown that replaced a Capt. D's?

At one point a month or two ago, I saw a crew working inside the building. There was a dumpster out back. I don't know if they were removing old Frisch's equipment or what though. Unless the building has deteriorated severely, it should be pretty easy to convert to Freddy's floor plan.

It's nice to see some new things coming to Fern Creek, but I can't get hyped about yet another seafood boil place.