Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Help!

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Help!

by Carla G » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:01 pm

Once again I bow before the more knowledgeable of Louisville's restaurant scene for advice- I have business associates moving into town, he is from the Phillipines and his wife is from Korea. I'm drawing a blank for any restaurants representing either of those nationalities.
Anybody?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: Help!

by Richard S. » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:44 pm

There's Koreana in the strip mall behind Popeyes and Preston Highway & Gilmore Lane. Don't let the condition of the strip mall keep you away. The restaurant is actually quite nice inside.

https://koreana3bbq.com/
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:59 pm

In addition to Koreana, there's Lee's Korean, GOGi 1055, Sarang, and Arirang. Aji on Outer Loop apparently has some Korean dishes. There's Rice Bowl in New Albany. Lee's is the only one I've tried.

As for Filipino food, Bamba Egg Roll Co. is a good food truck, but they're done for the season. I have enjoyed their food in the past. They're advertising frozen lumpia orders for Christmas. There's Sarap Filipino Eatery on Brent Street. Reviews on Google seem to indicate Sarap is authentic. I like pancit and lumpia, and it's nice I can source it now after a few years with no Filipino offerings in town.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:16 pm

Terri Beam wrote:As for Filipino food, Bamba Egg Roll Co. is a good food truck, but they're done for the season. I have enjoyed their food in the past. They're advertising frozen lumpia orders for Christmas. There's Sarap Filipino Eatery on Brent Street. Reviews on Google seem to indicate Sarap is authentic. I like pancit and lumpia, and it's nice I can source it now after a few years with no Filipino offerings in town.

I believe Sarap is run by the Bamba Egg Roll folks.

There's also My Tindahan on Taylorsville Road. It's a Filipino grocery store, but in the past it has occasionally served prepared food. And it seems to have a connection with Ate Shai's Homecooking, which does Filipino food pop-ups.

https://www.facebook.com/AteShaisHomecooking
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:50 pm

Terri Beam wrote:In addition to Koreana, there's Lee's Korean, GOGi 1055, Sarang, and Arirang. Aji on Outer Loop apparently has some Korean dishes. There's Rice Bowl in New Albany. Lee's is the only one I've tried.

As for Filipino food, Bamba Egg Roll Co. is a good food truck, but they're done for the season. I have enjoyed their food in the past. They're advertising frozen lumpia orders for Christmas. There's Sarap Filipino Eatery on Brent Street. Reviews on Google seem to indicate Sarap is authentic. I like pancit and lumpia, and it's nice I can source it now after a few years with no Filipino offerings in town.

Good List!

Also, there is Sichuan Garden Chinese Restaurant in Plainview that (at least a year ago) is owned by Koreans and has some Korean and Thai dishes!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:59 pm

I agree that Gogi 1055 and Sarang are good spots for Korean food, though the latter is more of a takeout place, while Gogi is a more impressive dine-in spot. As for the Philippines, my relatives were from there and they never found a local spot that was comparable to their own cooking. No judgments on my end, just passing along…..
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:05 am

Kum's Cafe on Poplar Level...my son and daughter in law love this place. Very authentic. I hear inflation has hit their menu prices in a unpleasant way.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:31 am

I knew I could count on you guys for help! Thank you so much. :D
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:58 am

Korean is one of my favorite cuisines, so I’ve tried most of the mentioned places. If you want grill tables, Gogi 1025 and Koreana III on Preston are your two options. The former is on the pricey side, but makes for a fun evening with a small group. The decor is fantastic. Koreana III (yep there was a I and a II in the same spot) is also really good. Lee’s is the oldest Korean place in town, I think and while they no longer have grill tables their menu is really solid. Finally, Sarang has a small but excellent menu but as mentioned is really only for takeout. Enjoy the banchan!