Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

What's your holiday wish for local dining?

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:03 pm

OK, hive mind. What does out local restaurant scene lack that you'd like to see us get? What's your holiday wish for local dining? A cuisine, setting, decor, or service policy that we don't have? You name it!

cambodian cuisineSM.jpg
A local dish of freshwater river lobster in hot sauce at Malis restaurant in Phnom Penh, Cambodia ...
cambodian cuisineSM.jpg (129.01 KiB) Viewed 2937 times
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: What's your holiday wish for local dining?

by Mark R. » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:30 pm

My wife and I along with many others keep hoping for a good New York deli, the closest we have is Stevens & Stevens which is good but not really very accessible in my wheelchair and the parking isn't great. Although along this line it does look like we may have solved the Bagel issue based on the review you posted earlier.

I'd also like to see some more seafood restaurants, we have several that have seafood specials but not many that are true seafood restaurants. I'm fairly talking white tablecloth restaurants, something like the Fish Camps to see down in the Carolinas and Georgia would be great!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:05 am

Mark R. wrote:My wife and I along with many others keep hoping for a good New York deli, the closest we have is Stevens & Stevens which is good but not really very accessible in my wheelchair and the parking isn't great. Although along this line it does look like we may have solved the Bagel issue based on the review you posted earlier.

I'd also like to see some more seafood restaurants, we have several that have seafood specials but not many that are true seafood restaurants. I'm fairly talking white tablecloth restaurants, something like the Fish Camps to see down in the Carolinas and Georgia would be great!

Ian Hall is working on the seafood side.

OUTCAST fish & oyster bar
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100085916812838
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:54 am

JustinHammond wrote:Ian Hall is working on the seafood side.

I definitely have high hopes.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:34 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Ian Hall is working on the seafood side.

I hadn't heard about that, thanks for posting!

no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:57 pm

I would like a quality grab-and-go place like La Peche, or some other past places that were similar. To be able to grab a bunch of quality reheatables, especially in the cold months ahead, would be welcome. Stevens has that to some degree, but not quite La Peche.
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:13 pm

I'd like to see a Jewish deli open. It's probably been 40 years since we had one in Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:14 pm

Mike L wrote:I'd like to see a Jewish deli open. It's probably been 40 years since we had one in Louisville.

Les's Nosh Box? It was good, although I do think we're pretty well served in the Louisville-style deli business with Stevens & Stevens and Morris Deli. Not Jewish, although they do the pastrami and corned beef very well.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:03 pm

Mark R. wrote:My wife and I along with many others keep hoping for a good New York deli, the closest we have is Stevens & Stevens which is good but not really very accessible in my wheelchair and the parking isn't great.

I'm not sure if this place counts, but they are opening in the Silly Axe spot in Douglass Loop.
Site: https://www.goodbellylouisville.com
CJ article: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/life/food/2023/01/11/good-belly-food-truck-louisville-restaurant-storefront-the-highlands/69799388007/

Parking isn't much better, but I'm 90% certain that they have a wheelchair ramp in the back.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:46 pm

SilvioM wrote:
Mark R. wrote:My wife and I along with many others keep hoping for a good New York deli, the closest we have is Stevens & Stevens which is good but not really very accessible in my wheelchair and the parking isn't great.

I'm not sure if this place counts, but they are opening in the Silly Axe spot in Douglass Loop.
Site: https://www.goodbellylouisville.com
CJ article: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/life/food/2023/01/11/good-belly-food-truck-louisville-restaurant-storefront-the-highlands/69799388007/

Parking isn't much better, but I'm 90% certain that they have a wheelchair ramp in the back.

Thanks for the information, it looks like it's definitely worth a try. It is frustrating however at places like this put handicap access in the back of the building and don't think anything about it! We've been there a couple places where you end up having to go through the kitchen!

no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:10 pm

Mark R. wrote:It is frustrating however at places like this put handicap access in the back of the building and don't think anything about it! We've been there a couple places where you end up having to go through the kitchen!

Fair complaint, though I'll point out that at the Loop, the back is where the parking is, only a handful of spaces out front. I'll post something once they open. Again, I'm making no claims that such a sandwich shop is a legit NY deli (never been to one), but there seems to be some crossover on how their meats are prepared.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:19 pm

SilvioM wrote:Fair complaint, though I'll point out that at the Loop, the back is where the parking is, only a handful of spaces out front. I'll post something once they open. Again, I'm making no claims that such a sandwich shop is a legit NY deli (never been to one), but there seems to be some crossover on how their meats are prepared.

Also, the parking in the rear is free. The rear entrance is where to access the ramp. The spaces in the front on Dundee Road are meters, and Metro Parking (or their contractor) monitors those meters very closely and writes citations quickly. Folks using those Dundee spaces in the morning, while taking 3 minutes to buy a cup of coffee at The Loop, return to find a parking ticket if they don’t feed the meters. I’ve read that those are the highest income meters in the city.