Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Cajun?

User

Scott Hack

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:09 pm

Pewee Valley, Kentucky

Cajun?

by Scott Hack » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:29 pm

Who has some good Cajun food in town?

I don't do seafood, so I'm looking for places that do gumbo, jambalaya etc without seafood in it.
Scott Hack
Finish Line Realty
502-376-4225
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Cajun?

by Mark R. » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:38 pm

Selena's had red beans and rice, which is very good and it doesn't have any seafood in it but every Jambalaya or Gumbo I've seen has some type of Seafood and It, Shrimp at the very least.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:41 pm

Consider North of Bourbon. Their gumbo has chicken and sausage, no seafood. I've not had it so I can't speak to it's quality, but everything else I've had from there has been great.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:49 pm

J. Gumbos still has three locations in town. Most of their items are seafood free and the fast casual counter ordering makes for easy in and out. They have a good variety of cajun classics. Some are even vegetarian.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:27 am

Lou Lou has jambalaya, etouffe, et al, but only the red beans & rice doesn't have seafood.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:10 pm

Not helpful to this thread, but I sure miss Couvillion. :(

Has Selena's been mentioned in this thread? They have a considerable Cajun/Creole vibe. I can't testify about seafood, though. To be honest, Cajun without seafood is kind of a tough ask since Acadiana is mostly water ... especially these days.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: Cajun?ce

by SilvioM » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:31 pm

Minutes ago, I randomly came across Selena’s menu for the first time (marketed as a combo of Cajun and Sicilian) to see if it has been reviewed here. Guess this is a sign that I should check it out!

As to the OP, their menu is fairly expansive and though most include seafood, perhaps it can be omitted on certain items. https://www.selenasrestaurant.com/menu
no avatar
User

Richard Meyer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:23 pm

by Richard Meyer » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:27 am

It's a treasure.... https://taylorscajunmeatco.com/ Taylor Cajun Meat is just across in New Albany.

Lots of options in their pre frozen section. Definitely, more if you'll eat seafood though. (Fried Seafood Balls, good lawd they are good)
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:07 pm

Richard Meyer wrote:It's a treasure.... https://taylorscajunmeatco.com/ Taylor Cajun Meat is just across in New Albany.

Lots of options in their pre frozen section. Definitely, more if you'll eat seafood though. (Fried Seafood Balls, good lawd they are good)

And great plate lunches.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:58 am

Just wanted to say how nice it is to see you posting again Scott! I still miss your cafe in Crestwood and all your great employees. :D
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson