Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Oriental House returns, just as good as ever

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:53 am

Oriental House returns, just as good as ever

Roasted to a deep mahogany color and painted with sweet-tart sauce, first-rate Chinese-style roasted duck signals that the old Oriental House is fully back in service.

When Oriental House posted the news of its reopening on social media earlier this month, it made me so happy that I wanted to “Like” it twice!

“We just want to thank everybody for the patience, love, and support throughout this journey,” the owners wrote. “This will be our first time opening our dining rooms to the public since the pandemic, so please continue to stay patient with us! Takeout will still be available as well.”

This was huge for me. I’ve been a fan of Chinese cuisine since, well, most of my life. Oriental House was not only one of the city’s longest-standing Chinese spots, it was a favorite stalwart of old-style Chinese-American fare since back in the ‘60s. What’s more, under new management in 2006, it became one of the first local eateries to offer Westerners full access to an “authentic” menu in both Chinese and English.

Yes, I was a fan. I went often, and when management shut down indoor dining at the beginning of the pandemic – and stayed closed for the next 2 1/2 years – Louisville’s Asian options just didn’t feel the same.

So I’m celebrating, and I hope you will too, the return of Oriental House in bright, pretty, beautifully renovated yet utterly familiar quarters.

Naturally I had to go. I skipped opening day to avoid the crowds, but held out for only a couple of days before rushing in. There was a good, not overflow, crowd, for lunch, and service was better than I really had any right to expect so soon in the re-launch of a popular place. And the food? Oh, yeah! It was good!

The renovated dining room won’t seem unfamiliar to old-timers. The old-school look of Oriental House (like its old-school name) remains unchanged. But it’s all shiny and sparkling, inside and out. The old, dark front entry passage is gone, now built into the building with easy access. Even the exterior, that exuberant Chinese-look building, appears to have been scrubbed and freshly painted. Inside, the floors, tables and chairs are all sturdy and new. The familiar round moon gate between the rooms and the pillars flanking the doors to the kitchen are bright and fresh, and pretty red-fabric lighting fixtures hang in rows overhead.

The menu appears essentially the same, with well over 200 items, including an 85-item “Authentic Chinese” menu that remains a built-in part of the huge bill of fare. That includes about two dozen dim sum snack dishes available at all hours. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
https://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/orie ... se-returns

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section later today:
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Oriental House
4302 Shelbyville Road
897-1017
https://www.orientalhouselouisville.com/
https://www.facebook.com/orientalhouselouisville

Noise Level: The room was crowded, but never ear-shattering. Conversation was easy at an average sound level was 72dB.

Accessibility: The attractively renovated dining room and rest rooms appear fully accessible to wheelchair users.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Re: Oriental House returns, just as good as ever

by Heather L » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:08 am

Yay!!! So excited to have them back. More than ready for some Hong Su Tofu and vegetable egg rolls.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:04 pm

I went yesterday because of this review, the place was full and lots of carryout orders were flying off the shelf. I had carryout, but the design of the place is really impressive, used to go years ago with in-laws who considered their food the real deal. I had a fantastic orange beef dish, great seasonings and ample portions. The hong sue shrimp was also tasty but the fried shrimp fell apart a bit in the sauce once I got it home, not their fault, just something to remember.

There were easily a dozen other things I wanted to try, but another time. With the quality and fair prices (most dishes I like were in the mid-to-low teens), this place definitely has a spot in my carryout rotation.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:16 am

We tried to go during the week last week (Wednesday) but they don't take reservations and there was a 45 minute wait . . . went across the street to LouLou, and had a wonderful meal with phenomenal wait-staff!
Andrew Mellman
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:48 pm

Always was a great place. Been going since it opened. Glad to see it back. Will return.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers