Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Best restaurant eats when you're bouncing back from Covid

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:25 pm

Best restaurant eats when you're bouncing back from Covid

Boldly flying the red, green, and white colors of the Italian flag, the St. Matthew's – Coals Artisan Pizza's version of the pizza Margherita made a splendid Covid recovery meal.

These three short features published in LEO Weekly today are my contribution to LEO's Best In Louisville Staffpicks in LEO's annual Readers' Choice Awards. Be sure to check them out at the links.

Why, yes, I did get Covid last month, after 2 1/2 years of artfully avoiding the pandemic. And no, I am not recommending this to you as one of Louisville’s best things to do in 2022.

But Covid did teach me some useful things about eating. I didn’t have a lot of appetite while recovering, but a man’s got to eat, so I treated myself to local restaurant fare to fascinate my appetite. In the following reports, I’d like to share with you my nominees for the best breakfast, lunch, and dinner (for me), when recovering from Covid.

Best breakfast when you’re recovering from Covid— Huevos Rancheros at Con Huevos

You need a good breakfast to start your day, and I can’t think of a better dish to jump-start my system when I’m not feeling it than the Huevos Rancheros at Con Huevos ($12.99). Yes! I'm feeling better just thinking about this gently spicy, crunchy yet soft combination of rich egg flavors and chile spice.

Literally “ranch eggs,” this is a hearty, filling dish that, in olden times, set up hard-working farm workers for a long day in the fields. Two glowing golden sunny-side-up eggs perch fetchingly atop crisp corn tortillas folded over creamy refried black beans and dressed with spicy salsa ranchera, avocado, and mild yet gently funky queso fresco.

Desayuno de campeones, I tellya … breakfast of champions!

Con Huevos, 2339 Frankfort Ave., 384-3027, http://conhuevos.com
Another location: Con Huevos Holiday Manor, 4938 U.S. 42, 384-3744

Best lunch when you’re recovering from Covid — Margherita Pizza at Coals

Pizza has always been comfort food for me, since I was a little kid, and my infatuation only got worse after living in New York City for a few years and making frequent trips to Italy after that.

Naturally, when I was recovering from Covid and still felt short on appetite, pizza was one of the most tempting foods I could imagine. Must. Have. Pizza.

But where? Louisville is rich with pizzerias, and plenty of them are worthy. Heck, a good half-dozen favorites could call my name on any given day. But Coals Artisan Pizza always makes my top five with the tasty leopard-spotted crusts that emerge from its coal-fired oven; and Coals’ branch in St. Matthews’ Vogue Center is handy.

Best of all, its “St. Matthews” pie – Coals’ moniker for the classic Neapolitan pizza Margherita – is a perennial favorite. Simple, perfect, its three toppings of fresh tomato, fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil reflect the red, white, and green colors of the Italian flag. Indeed, it was first created in Naples in 1889 and named in honor of the newly unified Italy’s first queen, Margherita.

The St. Matthews ($14.50) mirrors the original and ups the ante with fior de latte mozzarella and Coals’ tangy sauce. (You can even make it a breakfast pie, adding two eggs over easy and Nueske’s applewood smoked bacon for $2.50 more, but naah. Authenticity matters.)

Coals Artisan Pizza, Vogue Center, 3730 Frankfort Ave., 742-8200, http://coalsartisanpizza.com
Another location: 11615 Shelbyville Road Suite 106, 253-0106

Best dinner when you’re recovering from Covid — Dal Makhani at Tikka House

The current Covid variants don’t usually completely demolish one’s senses of smell and taste. I’d have hated that. But Covid did tweak my taste buds. My whole tasting system was just off. Nothing tasted quite right. Bitter tasted more bitter, and spicy tasted like fire. The overall impact made me lose my appetite.

What could I do? Go for the dishes that make up my idea of comfort food: Huevos Rancheros, a traditional margherita pizza, and maybe best of all, to round out a day with a hearty, rich dinner, Indian daal makhani.

Daal in its many forms comprises spicy Indian lentil soups and stews, and you could call daal makhani the king of daals.

Makhani means “buttery,” and this rich, consoling dish from Northern India’s Punjab wraps a combination of long-simmered black lentils and red kidney beans in a rich robe of butter and cream. Reserved for special events, it’s often served at wedding feasts and other parties. And, of course, as an appetite kick-starter when I’m not feeling great.

The daal makhani at Louisville’s Tikka House ($13.99) is one of my favorites among many contenders, and two large pieces of tender, puffy garlic naan ($4.49) and long-grain basmati rice made it a filling meal.

Subtle, complex and harmonious spicing elevates Tikka House’s rendition, a thick, dark soup of black lentils and kidney beans – tender, flavor-loaded legumes – swimming in that thick, savory cream-and-butter sauce.

Tikka House, 3930 Chenoweth Square, 749-4535, https://tikkahouseindianrestaurant.com

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes:
https://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/bouncing-back-covid

You'll also find this article in LEO Weekly's 2022 Best in Louisville Staffpicks:
https://www.leoweekly.com/2022/10/the-2 ... ouisville/

And don't forget to check out all the community-choice winners in LEO'S 2022 Readers' Choice Awards:
https://www.leoweekly.com/2022/10/the-w ... ce-awards/
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Best restaurant eats when you're bouncing back from Covi

by Iggy C » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:38 pm

Ha! Love this topic. I knew I was feeling better when I realized I had an unshakable craving for the beef noodle soup from Peking City Express.

So glad you’re feeling better, Robin!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:48 am

Exactly! I’m glad you are feeling better, Iggy!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:49 pm

I love your selections, all 3 are great!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:39 pm

I've not tried the last, will have to give it a look. FYI, their correct site address is: https://tikkahouseindianrestaurant.com
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:29 pm

SilvioM wrote:I've not tried the last, will have to give it a look. FYI, their correct site address is: https://tikkahouseindianrestaurant.com

Silvio, thanks very much for the fix! I don't know how the bad link got through editing and fact-checking, but obviously it did. I've corrected it here and on HotBytes.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:45 pm

Same thing, after living the hermit life and 4 boosters, I actually tested positive after playing a fundraiser. I got on Paxlovid immediately, it gives you a bad taste, but I drank a couple gallons of hot and sour from August Moon and after ONE day had zero symptoms. The test and drug are free,btw.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:53 pm

I’m glad it went so well for you, Linda! Really my Covid and paxlovid experience wasn’t much worse than yours, but that freaky side effect knocked me down for a week or two. I’m fine now, though. :)