Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Oriental House reopens Oct. 12

by Rich S » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:14 am

Oriental House has been closed for renovations since early June, but it reopens this Wednesday, and it will offer indoor dining for the first time since the pandemic started. I'm looking forward to eating there again. The dining room looks quite different; there are some photos on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/orientalhouselouisville/
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Oriental House reopens Oct. 12

by James Natsis » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:46 am

Looks like they are gearing up for a long run! Its good to know. The wife and I really enjoyed our experience there in the past.
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:34 pm

Excellent! Great catch, Richard. Thanks for finding it and sharing it. I want to get over there soon.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:48 am

They've been around for such a long time (happily) but I never realized how many chefs were launched from there to start their own restaurants. I can't wait to visit them again.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:20 am

Carla G wrote:They've been around for such a long time (happily) but I never realized how many chefs were launched from there to start their own restaurants. I can't wait to visit them again.

The key change came in 2004ish, though, when a young couple from Hong Kong bought the property and all its equipment and intellectual property from the younger generation of the original owners. That's when it fairly quietly shifted from a classic old Chinese-American joint to a classic old Chinese-American joint that also featured an authentic Cantonese/Hong Kong menu available to everyone in both Chinese and English. It's one of the best remaining - actually, the few remaining - quality Chinese places, and a place where you can get lo mein or fried rice. I hope the return show will continue that.