Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Favorite local bread makers?

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:08 pm

Hey, everyone! Let's talk about bread! Please tell me your favorite sources for artisan bread and why you love it. Euro-style, of course, but great sources for Mexican, Cuban, Southwest Asian, any bread will do.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Favorite local bread makers?

by Iggy C » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:49 pm

You can’t go wrong with bread from Wiltshire Pantry or Blue Dog, but right now my favorite in town is the malthouse sourdough at The Grainwright in Logan Street Market. It’s just fantastic.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:12 pm

We've always been kind of partial to Blue Dog but certainly agree with Iggy that Wiltshire Pantry is very good. We've only tried Grainwright one time because it's not actually very convenient for us, although I must say that the bread there was very good and I wish it was closer! Along the same lines I still wish that somebody in Louisville made a good French baguette, after living there for 2 years I got very used to them and haven't found anything in the states as good.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:20 pm

The Butchertown Grocery Bakery has a decent smaller-sized baguette. Paris Banh Mi also serves their banh mi on a surprisingly good baguette. They'll sell them whole if you ask.

I feel the same as Mark. I lived in France for a year and have spent time in other francophone countries. The art of the baguette and croissant is sacred. That style of bread, and its replemished freshness throughout the day, permeates throughout the menu.

I also spent numerous months in Greece many years ago. Bread in the right places in Greece is even better than in France.

Getting back to Louisville, Dino's on Bardstown Rd near Fern Creek puts out some good flatbreads.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:11 pm

James Natsis wrote:The Butchertown Grocery
Getting back to Louisville, Dino's on Bardstown Rd near Fern Creek puts out some good flatbreads.

Dino’s pita is awesome. It’s not uncommon for us to get some pita along with tubs of their house-made hummus and baba ganoush and call it dinner.

The bakery at Al Furat on St. Andrews Church rd. has some very nice pita. They also have these crescent-shaped loaves that are great for sandwiches.

I love the spongy Bosnian bread at Jasmine Bakery, too.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:29 am

Thanks, folks. Keep 'em coming. With Breadworks preparing to close its stores this month, I wanted to put together a worthy list of alternatives.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:34 am

The focaccia at MozzaPi is fantastic.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:30 pm

I really like the sourdough bread at Whole Foods.

I also like the Rosemary bread at Fresh Market.
User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Highlands

by Laura SS » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:27 pm

Coming out of long-time-lurkerdom to add to the praise for Wiltshire and to heap accolades on Smor! Their wheat sourdough is truly delicious and stays pleasantly moist and fresh for a surprising while. Makes killer toast and sandwiches. It's been a real treat having them at the Douglass Loop Farmer's Market this season.

https://www.smornordicbakeri.com/
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:42 am

Laura SS wrote:Coming out of long-time-lurkerdom to add to the praise for Wiltshire and to heap accolades on Smor! Their wheat sourdough is truly delicious and stays pleasantly moist and fresh for a surprising while. Makes killer toast and sandwiches. It's been a real treat having them at the Douglass Loop Farmer's Market this season.

I haven't heard of them before but will have to try that because it sounds delicious! Thanks for the tip.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:15 am

Mark R. wrote:
Laura SS wrote:Coming out of long-time-lurkerdom to add to the praise for Wiltshire and to heap accolades on Smor! Their wheat sourdough is truly delicious and stays pleasantly moist and fresh for a surprising while. Makes killer toast and sandwiches. It's been a real treat having them at the Douglass Loop Farmer's Market this season.

I haven't heard of them before but will have to try that because it sounds delicious! Thanks for the tip.

Same folks as Grind and Oskars. The bakery shares a parking lot with Oskars.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:08 pm

Welcome back, Laura! We saved you a seat. :)
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:05 pm

Dong Phuong Grocery on Strawberry Ln bakes some excellent sandwich sized French bread and I presume that they supply some restaurants that make bánh mi. With the thin crispy exterior and light interior, these also make great po boys. No need to order from Leidenheimer…yes, it’s that good. It’s no mystery as to why….you know, that whole France having occupied Vietnam thing….

It seems they have them ready at 2 or 3pm on weekdays.
Last edited by Ray Griffith on Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:36 pm

Thanks, Ray!
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:12 pm

Sadly, the Grainwright at Logan Street Market is closing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrUT1ZFMgBM ... MyMTA2M2Y=
Next