Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Aaron Thomas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:07 am

Highlands

BJ's Restaurant & Brewery

by Aaron Thomas » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:47 pm

I've seen that BJ's Restaurant & Brewery, a chain restaurant/brewpub based out of California is opening their first Kentucky location in Oxmoor on February 25 (though it has "Spring 2008" listed as the opening date on their website).

Ignoring, for a second, my personal feelings on the incompatible concept of a brewpub + chain, has anyone ever dined at a BJ's or had any of their beers? Their beer list is respectable, specifically when taking their specialty brews into account.

Their website: http://www.bjsrestaurants.com
User

BDKollker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Outside the Box Nashvegas

by BDKollker » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:55 pm

I met the owner of BJ's in Miami at the Cheers Beverage Conference. Not knowing what they were about until the later I was really excited. But after talking to another owner of a small group of restaurants out of Texas with the same theme I was a little hesitant. I like the fact that they are trying to keep watered down domestics out of their place as well as allowing up to 5 taps for "local" beers. They said they have seven regular beers on tap and four seasonal beers on tap at most of their places. Like I said I was impressed until hearing of the location is in the mall and talking to a competitor that says they brew most of their beer at one location and ship it across the US. I think all in all its a plus for people having different options then there regular choices and I hope the succeed. As far as I know they have contact with BBC from us talking about them at the conference to use as their "locals". We'll see what happens.

Prost!
Blake Kollker

Blakekollker.com
User

Aaron Thomas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Aaron Thomas » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:02 pm

BDKollker wrote:I like the fact that they are trying to keep watered down domestics out of their place as well as allowing up to 5 taps for "local" beers. They said they have seven regular beers on tap and four seasonal beers on tap at most of their places....

Like I said I was impressed until hearing of the location is in the mall and talking to a competitor that says they brew most of their beer at one location and ship it across the US.

Prost!

I was wondering if they would be brewing their beers on-site. Sounds like they're not, which technically means that they aren't a brewpub (to be fair that was my word, not theirs).

I can at least get behind them if they feature local beers on tap. The menu is certainly expansive. As you said, we'll see how it all works out.
User

BDKollker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Outside the Box Nashvegas

by BDKollker » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:32 pm

The word from the guy at Humperdink's was that they do not brew all of their beers on tap at each store. Now they might brew one or two at each place and use it as a "hub" to ship to other areas, I don't know for sure just relaying the message. I would love to see the guys at NABC be able to get a shot at it if they wanted but with the state laws it doesn't look like that,will happen. Both places said that their food was good. I guess we will just have to wait to find out. I do find it funny the two names of these "brewpubs" BJ's and Humperdinks... Does that name draw in a male crowd? HAHA!
Blake Kollker

Blakekollker.com
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:02 pm

Here's the link to another thread that was about BJ's back in September BJ's there was one person who had tried one of the chain's restaurants and didn't think much of it. Hopefully the one here will be better although the location certainly leaves a lot to be desired. :roll:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

Mall?

by Chris M » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:49 pm

Why does a mall location = bad food?

Yang-Kee Noodle is one of my favorite quick bites in the city, and it's right there in the mall.

I'm not saying BJ's is going to be good (never been to one), but being in the mall has nothing to do with it. There is bad food on B-town road, and good food on Preston Highway.

Some of the best food in town is in an old house next to a giant box of a warehouse club in the middle of a sprawling suburban shopping area.

Location does not denote quality.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Mall?

by Mark R. » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:05 pm

Chris M wrote:Why does a mall location = bad food?
Yang-Kee Noodle is one of my favorite quick bites in the city, and it's right there in the mall.
Some of the best food in town is in an old house next to a giant box of a warehouse club in the middle of a sprawling suburban shopping area.

Location does not denote quality.

The location definitely does not denote the quality...But...both of the examples you give are usual in the sense that they are not chains! If you look at the majority of restaurants that locate in malls, the reason they locate there is to have a supply of people to visit them. They don't feel that people would go out of their way to visit them so they have to have some other way (location) to get people to eat there.

Not saying that this restaurant will fit the rule it may be an exception like some others but in my opinion the location certainly is a handicap since I won't fight mall traffic to go out to eat.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Joel Halblieb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Metaphysicalcenteroftheuniverse

by Joel Halblieb » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:52 pm

BJs will not be brewing beer at the location in Louisville. I emailed them to find out. Interesting that they have guest taps of local beers. I have to say the California Pizza's menu says they carry local beers but when I asked the server pointed to a Sierra Nevada tap handle. I told her the Chico, CA was not local to me.
no avatar
User

Wayde H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:32 pm

by Wayde H » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:10 pm

I have eaten at the one in Columbus, OH, and although I did not have any of their beers, the food was slightly above average, with pizza being their speciealty.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:13 am

Joel Halblieb wrote:BJs will not be brewing beer at the location in Louisville. I emailed them to find out. Interesting that they have guest taps of local beers. I have to say the California Pizza's menu says they carry local beers but when I asked the server pointed to a Sierra Nevada tap handle. I told her the Chico, CA was not local to me.

Let us then hope they call it BJ's, and not BJ something something "brewery."
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:22 am

Mom and Pop places are where I bread my butter. But I grow tired of all the complaining about chain restaurants. Just like any other eatery there are good ones, and bad....remember when you dine there, contrary to popular belief you are still supporting local PEOPLE.
User

Aaron Thomas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Aaron Thomas » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:33 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Let us then hope they call it BJ's, and not BJ something something "brewery."

Roger,

Just out of curiosity: if BJ's or a place like it were to approach you about keeping an NABC brew on tap at their restaurant, would you agree to it?
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:31 am

At this moment, the question is moot. We neither have the capacity to distribute in Louisville, nor the wholesaler agreement (although we have up-yo-date Kentucky <i>state</i> paperwork).

WHEN we have both the ability and the legalities ... I suppose I'd be making a judgment call. To me, chain or no, if there is a visible commitment to good beer that doesn't make me feel like I'm being a hypocrite, then I suppose the answer is yes. Someone wrote that BJ's wouldn't be dealing in mass market beers. That's a good indicator, though not required.

Not much of an answer, but it's early ...
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: BJ's Restaurant & Brewery

by Steve P » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:17 pm

Aaron,

My wife and I are currently residing in Oklahoma City while I complete a 12 month work assignment with Oklahoma University...One of the (few) pleasant surprises we've had while we struggle complete our sentence in this forsaken place has been BJ's Brewhouse...short review to follow.

Beer: BJ's does not brew their beer "on premise" here in Oklahoma, rather it is brewed in Texas and shipped in. Trust me, it doesn't matter. This is GOOD beer. Some folks know wine, some folks know art. I know beer and let me say again, this is good stuff. The Pirahna Pale Ale is one of the finest Pales I've tasted. The Stout, Porter and Nut Brown are all top shelf; fresh and true to the style. The only weak entree would be (in my opinion) their "Blonde" ale. It is brewed with a nod to the "American Lager" lovers amongst us and really doesn't impress me. I enjoyed a few "barley pops" at Cumberland Brews on our last visit to L'ville. Using CB as a benchmark you will find BJ's beers VERY good.

The Food: Like many of you I am not a big fan of "chains". That being said BJ's does have some pretty darn good food. We have eaten there 15 or 20 times and have sampled a pretty good share of the menu. It is "bar food" kicked up a full 2 notches. The burgers, pizza and appetizers are all very good. In addition they have some salads and pasta dishes that are very appealing. Comparing BJ's to some of the other chains I've tried in the past year or so (Mac-grill, Bravo, Fox and Hound, Chili's, etc) BJ's comes out on top in terms of enjoyable meals and original takes on old favorites.

The ambeience of the place is pleasant...upscale bit not "in your face" and definately NOT "sports bar-ish". They have a huge TV behind the bar but you do not have any sense at all that this is the focus of the place. The BJ's here in OKC is "kid friendly" to some degree but given that the focus here is as much on the beer as it is the food it is definately not "Chuckie cheese-like". The bottom line is that if/when BJ's moves to L'vlle it will be a fine addition to the eating and drinking scene.

Regards,

Steve P

Aaron Thomas wrote:I've seen that BJ's Restaurant & Brewery, a chain restaurant/brewpub based out of California is opening their first Kentucky location in Oxmoor on February 25 (though it has "Spring 2008" listed as the opening date on their website).

Ignoring, for a second, my personal feelings on the incompatible concept of a brewpub + chain, has anyone ever dined at a BJ's or had any of their beers? Their beer list is respectable, specifically when taking their specialty brews into account.

Their website: http://www.bjsrestaurants.com
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

thommy browne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:21 pm

Louisville

Re: BJ's Restaurant & Brewery

by thommy browne » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:41 pm

I am curious to go try there beers as well. Maybe I'll do it this weekend. It is a big bummer that they do not brew on location.
Next