Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Pierogies anyone ?

no avatar
User

joe.muller

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Pierogies anyone ?

by joe.muller » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:45 pm

I am looking for a close (relative) source for home made Pierogies. The delicious Polish dumpling filled with a combination of potatoes, onions, cheese and meat. Often served either boiled (or my preference) fried in a skillet. Anybody know of any ? I have come across them in my travels to Cincinnati and Florida. Obviously I would prefer local.

Thanks,

-Joe
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Pierogies anyone ?

by Mark R. » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:01 pm

I've certainly never found them locally but would love to like you! Hopefully somebody will chime in and know of a local place. I've made them at home but certainly prefer not to. Some of the frozen ones you can buy are not bad you cook them properly! What do you like on yours? I personally prefer them panfried and butter and then salt, pepper and sour cream on them.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:28 pm

With the fairly brief exception of Bosnia restaurants run by refugees before they found better jobs, Louisville has just never had enough of a Polish/Eastern European presence to make a restaurant possible. Heck, even Greek can't survive. Sorry, but I'm afraid ordering online is going to be your only option. :(
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:41 pm

That's certainly what I've found, I was just hoping somebody knew of someplace that I had missed!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:51 pm

Pretend you're Polish for a day and make a bunch of them, you can freeze the excess if you get a pierogi jones later ... https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/homemade-pierogi-recipe .. Lithuanians have these things also .. koldunai ..
https://livethelive.com/2016/01/04/lithuanian-koldunai-beat-pierogis-every-time/ I remember my mom and grandma making these things, we used to have them with mushroom gravy an swimming in butter.

GG
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:09 pm

Golden Key Russian market in Buechel has frozen pierogies. They’re delicious! Huge variety too.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:16 pm

Gary Guss wrote:Pretend you're Polish for a day and make a bunch of them, you can freeze the excess if you get a pierogi jones later ...

Was this an intentional reference to Tim and Eric’s Pierogi Jones sketch? Or just a weird coincidence /glitch in the simulation?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hvRZoBcNh2g
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:19 pm

Didn't there used to be a semi-fast-food pierogi restaurant on South Hurstbourne about a mile West of Taylorsville Rd? A tiny strip center on the South side of the street?

It didn't make it, but don't remember if it was lack of customers, poor product, both, or why . . .
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:17 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:Didn't there used to be a semi-fast-food pierogi restaurant on South Hurstbourne about a mile West of Taylorsville Rd? A tiny strip center on the South side of the street?

It didn't make it, but don't remember if it was lack of customers, poor product, both, or why . . .

Close but no pierogi. :)

It was the Kolache Factory, local branch of a chain that served kolaches, which are probably a lot like pierogi but are Czech and also a treat in Nebraska. It didn't last long, I guess both because nobody knew what a kolache is, and it wasn't a great location.