Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Birthday Dinner Monday--Recommendations?

by Terri Beam » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:13 pm

My birthday is next Monday, and I've noticed a lot of upscale restaurants in town are no longer open on Mondays.

Last year my fiance and I went to Grassa Gramma and Steak and Bourbon on our respective birthdays. He's a steak guy (and I suspect he'll be happy to repeat his dinner at S&B), and I'm into Italian but can be more flexible. I just want to try something different.

One limiting factor for me is that I have absolutely ridiculous (and annoying) dietary issues with onions and garlic. Onions are almost a 100% no. Garlic I can tolerate in small portions. Some restaurants in town have tried to put me in the hospital by ignoring my request for no onions on items that CAN be adapted to my needs. It gets old returning plates when I find onions in them when they told me, "Yes, we can serve that without onions."

I no longer trust Google and Yelp reviews because so many people have hidden agendas.

Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants that are 1) open on Mondays 2) good for birthdays (not looking for free food or singing) 3) willing to adapt dishes to prevent my stomach from feeling like it has hives 4)Italian or Cuban or Southern-ish? I'm not opposed to going downtown from the wilds of Fern Creek, but I'd prefer something outside the Watterson (would make an exception for something top notch).

Budget is probably around $150 for two at most, as that's what we wound up spending last year.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Birthday Dinner Monday--Recommendations?

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:21 pm

Terri, that's quite a combination of criteria! It's not going to be easy to fit in to all those requirements. Blackstone Grille in Prospect, possibly? It's upscale, offers steak and lots of other things, and might be considerate to a dietary request made in advance.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:22 pm

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:31 pm

Buck's! (it's in old Louisville, on Ormsby)

Open Monday's, if you call in advance I've had no problem in avoiding allergies, most romantic place in the city, hits slightly below your budget (depending on number of drinks/price of the wine), wonderful steaks, and while not Italian they do have prosciutto-wrapped lamb rack, Limoncello chicken, and chicken & shrimp gemelli.

Definitely upscale, but one of the top food and experiences in Louisville! Suggest checking out the on-line menu and calling them about food problems.
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:49 am

Andrew, I certainly agree about Buck's it's certainly 1 of the restaurants we enjoyed most often in Louisville! It has both excellent food and atmosphere! Again, as you stated it would be best to call ahead about the dietary restrictions because most things are least partially prepared ahead of time and many times that includes onions and garlic!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"