Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

We enjoy the chicken and the egg at Chik’n & Mi

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:03 am

We enjoy the chicken and the egg at Chik’n & Mi

A subtly flavored palette to display your choice of sauces, Chik'n & Mi's Laotian spiced fried chicken is so crisply fried that the skin cracks pleasantly when you bite down.

I’m not going to say I’ve solved the ancient riddle about whether the chicken or the egg came first, but I can tell you that we enjoyed both those good things and more in a delicious brunch at Chik’n & Mi.

It shouldn’t come as a huge surprise that the fare is excellent at Chik’n & Mi, as it’s the only local eatery I know of where both owners/chefs – the husband-and-wife team of Jason McCollum and Aenith Sananikone McCollum – are graduates of the prestigious Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York

Chik’n & Mi has earned considerable popularity in its relatively short run of five years or so. It arrived in March 2017 in a small building on Lower Brownsboro that had housed a long string of short-lived eateries. It moved into its current larger quarters in the spring of 2020, when the pandemic forced Jason McCollum to close his other restaurant, Hearth on Mellwood Eatery, after less than a year of operation.

Chik'n & Mi appears to be thriving in its new location where Clifton meets Butchertown, a historic farmhouse that for many years housed L & N Wine Bar, Bistro 1860, and Hearth on Melwood.

It’s open for dinner only on weekdays, brunch and dinner on Saturdays and brunch on Sundays, with an attractive shady patio in addition to the old-house space and comfortable bar inside, which features an extensive sake collection, craft beers and creative cocktails.

In the land of Kentucky Fried Chicken and a host of down-home eateries that offer country-fried chicken, Chik’n & Me charts a bolder path. Drawing on Aenith McCollum’s Laotian heritage, it features Laotian-spiced fried chicken. There’s also a variety of “Asian-inspired comfort foods” across China, Korea, and Japan (ramen is a specialty), and on to a world-spanning range of other delights through Mexico to the U.S.A.

The weekend brunch menu is similar to the dinner menu but a bit more concise. It offers nine brunch starters and ten brunch dishes, along with its regular range of three ramen bowls and Asian fried FreeBird brand chicken. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
https://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/chicken-egg-chikn-mi

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section later today:
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Chik’n & Mi
1765 Mellwood Ave.
890-5731
chiknandmi.com
facebook.com/chiknandmi
instagram.com/chikn_and_mi

Noise Level: Noise Level: Crowd noise ebbed and flowed during a busy Saturday brunch. At its peak, spikes to 85dB made conversation difficult at times.

Accessibility: The entrance and dining areas appear accessible to wheelchair users, but closely spaced tables could make wheelchair navigation tricky.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: We enjoy the chicken and the egg at Chik’n & Mi

by TP Lowe » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:50 am

I visited for dinner a couple of weeks ago. We took the grands who were visiting from Philly. They had nuggets and split a bowl of ramen (which looked fantastic). My bride had the miso sesame salad, followed by the fried chicken steamed buns - she was more than satisfied with both. I had three pieces of chicken, ordered at the hottest level. I was served two tiny wings and a bit of breast, none of which contained much heat at all, and was such a small portion I went away not feeling much like I'd been to a dinner. I'd say overall the table was pleased - I was the outlier. I'd give it a "meh" at best despite all the positive hype Chik'n & Mi has received of late.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:05 pm

To be honest, TP, at the original location I was never whelmed. In fact, I went twice trying to figure out why my first visit was so meh. They were all good when we got there for brunch, though, and the three-piece chicken (pictured) included a pretty generously sized tthigh, a leg, and a wing.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:27 am

An egg helps everything, Robin!