Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

MozzaPi’s pizza remains near and dear to my heart

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:38 am

MozzaPi’s pizza remains near and dear to my heart

Built on outstanding fresh-milled grain crust and fired with pretty browned leopard spots, this 9-inch MozzaPi pizza is topped with fresh spinach, mozzarella and ricotta, and a spicy fresh tomato sauce.

I’m pretty sure I’ve told you before that pizza is one of my favorite foods. I can’t think of a one of Louisville’s 60-some pizzerias that I would flatly reject. Well, possibly some of the national chains, unless I was really hungry.

I mean, what’s not to like about pizza? It’s relatively healthy, a thin base of bread that, excepting the occasional deep-dish pie, imparts barely enough carbs to bother anyone. A layer of delicious tomato sauce, a layer of delicious cheese, some tasty meats or veggies of your liking on top … why, you’ve got all of the food groups on your plate!

So what’s my favorite pizza in town? I get that question a lot, but I don’t have an easy answer. Coal-fired and wood-fired pizzas appeal, but a proper gas-fired or electric pizza oven with a brick or concrete deck can absolutely get the job done.

Of course I love thin-crust New York City or Italian style, but I won’t say no to a slightly thicker crust, or even, on occasion, for the deep-dish styles of Chicago and Detroit.

A great pizza, after all, is as much about the bread as it is about the sauce, the cheese, and the toppings. To make me truly happy, pizza crust should have the heft, the bubbly texture and crisp exterior, and the good wheat flavor of an artisanal loaf. If you don’t have that excellent base, the rest of the pizza can hardly excel.

When it comes to great bread in a Louisville pizza, it’s hard to beat MozzaPi, happily reopened post-pandemic in its original quarters on the east side of Anchorage. Describing itself as an artisan pizzeria and bakery, MozzaPi takes pride in making its breads and pizza dough with sustainable, organic, locally farmed ancient grains freshly stone-milled in house. It’s tough to get more serious about your bread than that.

“The new pizza paradigm is all about balance,” MozzaPi declares on its website. “Artfully balancing the crust with the toppings, balancing the flavors with the textures, balancing local with seasonal ingredients. It is really about taking natural, healthy ingredients and preparing them in a way that is simple and satisfying.”

Yum! Just reading that makes me want pizza right now.

The current menu is about as simple as it gets: Seven speciality pizzas, all nine-inchers, all $14; or classic build-your-own pies with cheese ($11), pepperoni, or sausage (both $12), plus $2.50 per meat topping, $1.50 per veggie topping, 75 cents for extra cheese, and $2.50 if you need a gluten-free crust. A dinner-size house salad or a stunningly good kale salad are $13 each. A side of excellent foccacia is $5, a side salad $6, and for dessert, a cookie fresh from the oven is $3. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
https://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/mozzapi-pizza

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section later today:
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

MozzaPi Pizza
12102 La Grange Road
890-4832
http://mozzapi.com
https://facebook.com/MozzaPi
https://instagram.com/mozzapi

Noise Level: The dining room was almost full for a Saturday lunch, and with songs like Katy Perry's Firework on the sound system, noise levels peaked at 78dB, about the level of a home vacuum cleaner.

Accessibility: The dining room is level and appears accessible to wheelchair users, but the main entrance door is large and heavy and sticks at the bottom.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: MozzaPi’s pizza remains near and dear to my heart

by Carla G » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:40 pm

I really kicked myself when they closed especially since they aren't that far from where I live. Looks like I get another chance. That pie looks amazing. :D
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:37 pm

Carla, they're ALL amazing! I really do think it's the best pizza in town, although there are several top contenders. :)
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:25 pm

Hey Robin,

Do you happen to know their hours, at the Anchorage location?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:28 am

Mike, it’s advertised as 11:30–9 Tuesday to Saturday, no breakfast right now. It’s always wise to call before you go, though. 890-4832
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:34 pm

Thanks for the info and the tip Robin!
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:22 am

Mozza Pi is our favorite pizza in Louisville without question. We've been getting carryout from their location at TEN20 Brewery in Butchertown. We've found it just as good as the original location.