Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Huge Impact

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Huge Impact

by Carla G » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:47 am

Thank you James. That's the perfect example of what I was talking about.
And you are so right about how misleading those social profiles can be. Mark's previous post was a good catch and I thank him for pointing it out. :D
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:53 am

It should be pointed out that the place in question does have a grilled cheese option, along with some sides and salads that do not have meat. Some other spots in the area (Daddy Rich's, Shirley Mae's Cafe) have even less. FYI.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:00 pm

Just as an aside, I posted about Huge Impact in September of '21 after cribbing the link from Business First :D

https://foodanddine.com/all-american-ex ... ouisville/

I've cut my meat consumption 80-odd percent; maybe once a month, and more often when we travel. I still eat fish and drink beer, but lost 25 pounds and for the first time in a while, I've managed to keep it off. My conclusion: it's the meat, or the absence of it. As Carla noted, I feel and sleep better. That's good enough for me, and others may do as they please.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:41 pm

If nothing else, it would be a good idea to have a few vegetarian/ vegan items just to cater to the veto vote. If four people are trying to decide where to have lunch, chances are one is going to want a veggie item. Heck, they could keep a pack of Morningstar burgers in the freezer.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:49 pm

Richard S. wrote:If nothing else, it would be a good idea to have a few vegetarian/ vegan items just to cater to the veto vote. If four people are trying to decide where to have lunch, chances are one is going to want a veggie item. Heck, they could keep a pack of Morningstar burgers in the freezer.

The Problem with doing something like that is it may ruin their image for food. If they have a theory of how they make and serve food putting something so mundane as a MorningStar burger may not fit their style. Many restaurants would rather lose a customer here and there instead of messing with their food concept and style.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:34 am

Mark R. wrote:
Richard S. wrote:If nothing else, it would be a good idea to have a few vegetarian/ vegan items just to cater to the veto vote. If four people are trying to decide where to have lunch, chances are one is going to want a veggie item. Heck, they could keep a pack of Morningstar burgers in the freezer.

The Problem with doing something like that is it may ruin their image for food. If they have a theory of how they make and serve food putting something so mundane as a MorningStar burger may not fit their style. Many restaurants would rather lose a customer here and there instead of messing with their food concept and style.

Well (shrugs) then so be it. But remember, they won't be losing just one customer , they may lose that entire table at least for that meal if the party feels as if all their members can't have some dort of satisfactory meal. I find it odd that a restaurant will have 4 or 5 different non-sugar sweeteners for their diners to choose from but not a veggie burger.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:13 am

Richard S. wrote:If nothing else, it would be a good idea to have a few vegetarian/ vegan items just to cater to the veto vote. .

To be clear, Huge Impact has (by my count) two sides, three salads, one sandwich, and several sides that do not have meat or fish. I think that all of them would be better than a frozen veggie burger that one can get at Walmart for a buck. Veto overridden!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:06 am

I'm sorry but I'm laughing out loud here :lol: I really don't think a non-vegetarian gets to decide what a decent vegetarian menu is. Not many are going to rush out for a salad and mac and cheese. It's a bit like Marie Antoinette saying , "Let them eat cole slaw!" (See what I did there...it's Bastille Day!)
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:55 am

For me, the difference is can I eat there in a pinch vs would I choose this as a place to eat at. And I am not meaning to drag Huge Impact by any means here - I hope they do well - I searched out and posted their menu in this thread for visibility. They absolutely do have a few items that would allow me to eat a meal there. I am speaking more in general. If my friends/family/colleagues choose a restaurant, I can make a meal almost anywhere. Almost! But would I choose a restaurant myself where a side salad and french fries (for example) are my options? NO. At this point, would I choose a restaurant where a frozen processed veggie burger is the only option for me? NO. And that's just my choice and my opinion.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

joe.muller

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 15, 2019 4:06 pm

by joe.muller » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:13 am

What cracks me up is that these places that offer meat alternatives or veggie burgers to appease the vegetarians and vegans, cook their product on the same grills they cook meat on, often alongside meat that is cooking.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:30 pm

joe.muller wrote:What cracks me up is that these places that offer meat alternatives or veggie burgers to appease the vegetarians and vegans, cook their product on the same grills they cook meat on, often alongside meat that is cooking.

That’s usually not an issue unless someone is vegetarian because of religious reasons or has some sort of severe allergy to meat (I’m not aware of any allergies of that nature.) Look, few vegetarians are the fanatical loons you like to make them out to be. Most just feel better when they don’t eat meat. Pretty simple. I’m not sure why so many carnivores insist on making it into a “clan vs clan “ mentality.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:27 pm

Okay. At first, they needed “at least a beyond burger”. Now, it’s “a decent vegetarian menu”. Obviously, vegetarians will choose a place like Heart & Soy over this, and that’s fine. I’m not going to complain (and that’s exactly what this is) that H&S doesn’t offer fish under the pretense that I think it would be in their best interests to have a “diverse” menu. I will just eat elsewhere if I want fish. And that’s fine.

And to be clear, I was responding to (and quoted) Richard’s post in which he stated that it would be a good idea to have “a few vegetarian/vegan items”. I noted that they have a few, or more. No comment was made on my part as to whether it is “decent” enough for vegetarian diners.
Last edited by SilvioM on Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:47 pm

SilvioM wrote:Okay. At first, they needed “at least a beyond burger”. Now, it’s “a decent vegetarian menu”. Obviously, vegetarians will choose a place like Heart & Soy over this, and that’s fine. I’m not going to complain (and that’s exactly what this is) that H&S doesn’t offer fish under the pretense that I think it would be in their best interests to have a “diverse” menu. I will just eat elsewhere if I want fish. And that’s fine.

Along the same bases of people saying that restaurants that have a meat centric menu should have a few vegetarian/vegan options shouldn't the opposite also be true? Why don't the vegetarian/vegan restaurant offer a few meat items so friends of people that like to eat there could enjoy their dinner also? If they don't it seems like the pot calling the kettle black!

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:58 am

No one is name calling. Throughout all of these posts the point some of us were trying to get across was marketing, getting people through the doors, surviving in a Covid world, covering your overhead. For all I care a restaurant can sell nothing but boiled chicken breasts (but only the left breast) and we wouldn’t care. We WOULD question the wisdom behind doing so however. All I added was that more and more people are experimenting with vegetarian diets and how some restaurants could capitalize on it, even those that are not strictly vegetarian. Why is ANY of this an issue?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:22 pm

Carla G wrote:No one is name calling. Throughout all of these posts the point some of us were trying to get across was marketing, getting people through the doors, surviving in a Covid world, covering your overhead. For all I care a restaurant can sell nothing but boiled chicken breasts (but only the left breast) and we wouldn’t care. We WOULD question the wisdom behind doing so however. All I added was that more and more people are experimenting with vegetarian diets and how some restaurants could capitalize on it, even those that are not strictly vegetarian. Why is ANY of this an issue?

I certainly wasn't name-calling but I was just showing the view from the other side of the coin! I personally would not consider going to a vegetarian/vegan restaurant because they don't have food items that interest me. How is that any different from a vegetarian/vegan net going to the restaurant that started this thread because I don't have vegan/vegetarian options?

PreviousNext