Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Huge Impact

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Huge Impact

by Carla G » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:00 pm

(I was referring to the "pot calling the kettle black" sentance.)
And if everybody dined alone what you are saying WOULD make perfect sense. But a quick survey of a dining room shows more tables of 2, 4 or even 6 diners than they do of single , 1-tops. So it's not just about you or just about me. It's about our friends and family with those with which we associate, love and choose to dine with. I'd like to see ALL my friends that I dine with have a good time, eat a good meal and hopefully no one feels singled out and left to feel that they matter less than the rest of the party. I'd never want anyone that I'm with to feel that they have to "suck it up" and eat only what I deem acceptable, or only the foods that I enjoy. Again, this isn't about who should or should not eat whatever. It's about restaurants pulling in as many as possible, playing the odds to earn the jack. After all, would you refuse to eat at a restaurant because they DO offer a couple of vegetarain options? I'm gonna guess as long as you can get your meat option you'd be OK. So by offering a vegatarian option they've lost nothing and increased their revenue possibility. Is there a problem with that? American dietary habits are changing. It's just that simple. Restaurants will either keep up with demands or earn less.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:26 am

Carla G wrote: (I was referring to the "pot calling the kettle black" sentance.)
And if everybody dined alone what you are saying WOULD make perfect sense. But a quick survey of a dining room shows more tables of 2, 4 or even 6 diners than they do of single , 1-tops. So it's not just about you or just about me. It's about our friends and family with those with which we associate, love and choose to dine with. I'd like to see ALL my friends that I dine with have a good time, eat a good meal and hopefully no one feels singled out and left to feel that they matter less than the rest of the party. I'd never want anyone that I'm with to feel that they have to "suck it up" and eat only what I deem acceptable, or only the foods that I enjoy. Again, this isn't about who should or should not eat whatever. It's about restaurants pulling in as many as possible, playing the odds to earn the jack. After all, would you refuse to eat at a restaurant because they DO offer a couple of vegetarain options? I'm gonna guess as long as you can get your meat option you'd be OK. So by offering a vegatarian option they've lost nothing and increased their revenue possibility. Is there a problem with that? American dietary habits are changing. It's just that simple. Restaurants will either keep up with demands or earn less.

And that's exactly what I was saying flipped around, it wouldn't hurt vegetarian/vegan restaurant to offer a couple of meat dishes for those who don't like the vegetarian options. That way friends of people who are vegetarians would have dinner options that they enjoy! Again, it would allow those restaurants to pull in more customers!

From what you've been saying it looks like you want all restaurants to offer vegetarian/vegan options so you can go to any of them but you don't want them all to offer meat options for everyone and go to them.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:59 am

Mark R. wrote:From what you've been saying it looks like you want all restaurants to offer vegetarian/vegan options so you can go to any of them but you don't want them all to offer meat options for everyone and go to them.

Agreed. I scrolled back to the Heart & Soy review. Not a single comment (nor, like here, several likely totaling 1000+ words) with friendly advice about how they could "increase their revenue options" with some meat/fish options.

"For all I care a restaurant can sell nothing but boiled chicken breasts." Sure. :roll:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:52 pm

Really? Gee, I wasn’t aware there are THAT many vegan/vegetarian restaurants in the city anyway. And since the majority of diners have traditionally been omnivores I seriously doubt any of the vegan places need schooling in that regard. And as far as what I WANT, I only want restaurants to succeed. I am not proselytizing for everyone (anyone) to stop eating anything they enjoy. I’m just looking at the odds. I am sorry I bunched some panties.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:33 pm

Carla G wrote: I am sorry I bunched some panties.

I'm sorry you do too! Too bad you can't see where the rest coming from with vegan/vegetarian restaurants having meat items. After all, we all want the same thing and that's for every restaurant to succeed!

no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:18 pm

Ah well, time to move on. Let's support our businesses by partaking in https://louisvilleburgerweek.com. I hope that they all succeed.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:57 pm

SilvioM wrote:Ah well, time to move on. Let's support our businesses by partaking in https://louisvilleburgerweek.com. I hope that they all succeed.

I certainly agree! Hopefully all succeed and do well this week!

no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:23 pm

I gotta say, I was by a couple of these places this week and they were packed. I never made it in, really want to try 2-3 specific offerings but maybe during the off times, 3-4pm or so. If one has any crowd concerns, best to eat elsewhere this week.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:03 pm

SilvioM wrote:I gotta say, I was by a couple of these places this week and they were packed. I never made it in, really want to try 2-3 specific offerings but maybe during the off times, 3-4pm or so. If one has any crowd concerns, best to eat elsewhere this week.

We found that sometimes lunch works fairly well! Also, tried some places not known for burgers (albeit with very mixed results, as with one in particular we learned WHY it's not known for burgers (ended up tossing the burger and eating all the toppings!)
Andrew Mellman
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:07 pm

Carla G wrote:No one is name calling. Throughout all of these posts the point some of us were trying to get across was marketing, getting people through the doors, surviving in a Covid world, covering your overhead. For all I care a restaurant can sell nothing but boiled chicken breasts (but only the left breast) and we wouldn’t care. We WOULD question the wisdom behind doing so however. All I added was that more and more people are experimenting with vegetarian diets and how some restaurants could capitalize on it, even those that are not strictly vegetarian. Why is ANY of this an issue?

I believe it is terrible you are discriminating against the right breast. Both breasts should be equal.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:42 pm

Steve Shade wrote:
Carla G wrote:No one is name calling. Throughout all of these posts the point some of us were trying to get across was marketing, getting people through the doors, surviving in a Covid world, covering your overhead. For all I care a restaurant can sell nothing but boiled chicken breasts (but only the left breast) and we wouldn’t care. We WOULD question the wisdom behind doing so however. All I added was that more and more people are experimenting with vegetarian diets and how some restaurants could capitalize on it, even those that are not strictly vegetarian. Why is ANY of this an issue?

I believe it is terrible you are discriminating against the right breast. Both breasts should be equal.

You are so right Steve. So happy I can always count on you to be fair, impartial and ...uh...balanced! <3
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:15 am

Interesting rant from an award-winning restaurant that decided (for their current restaurant) not to offer vegan alternatives, and the hate they received!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... baiHrlWv7o
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:57 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:Interesting rant from an award-winning restaurant that decided (for their current restaurant) not to offer vegan alternatives, and the hate they received!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... baiHrlWv7o

:!: That's exactly my feelings! If a restaurant doesn't have what you want go someplace else, we all do that. Why should vegans/vegetarians be any different? Why should a restaurant cater to what they want? I truly respect this restaurant and if it was someplace local would definitely go there!

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:11 pm

One more time…..
It’s about the numbers. Period. As more and more people adopt a vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian/ alternative diet it behoves restaurants to adapt to public demands. Of course they can refuse to offer vegetarian options, that’s their right. But as other restaurants offer what more people WANT, non-adaptive restaurants are going to see their revenues diminish. (Shrugs) All I’ve been hearing lately is how restaurants are struggling.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:33 pm

Carla G wrote:One more time…..
It’s about the numbers. Period.

Another One More Time, a restaurant is entitled to do and serve what it wants to! It doesn't have to cater to vegans/vegetarians or anyone else if it doesn't want to!

On the inverse side of your position why don't the vegan/vegetarian restaurants serve a few meat dishes for those of us who prefer that for on the menu?

PreviousNext