Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

For a top-notch Sichuanese meal, call J-a-s-m-i-n-e

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:26 am

For a top-notch Sichuanese meal, call J-a-s-m-i-n-e

Tea-smoked duck, an iconic Sichuanese dish, brought a subtle, astringent smoky flavor to deliciously meaty duck and crisp skin.

China’s $1.4 billion population in 2022 is roughly four times the size of our 335 million people, and all those hungry Chinese enjoy, depending on where they live, at least eight major regional cuisines dating back thousands of years.

So why is it, if we don’t think twice about enjoying the varieties of American fare – Southern chow, Cajun cuisine, Texas barbecue and so many more of our own regional cuisines – that most Americans for many years assumed that all Chinese food was summed up in the menu at the local chop suey house?

Years ago, this narrow vision started to change a little. We got a few fancy Chinese places offering dishes that we thought were authentic. Then came some regional spots offering the spicy dishes of Sichuan and Hunan, often combined in a single eatery. The cognoscenti started to sniff and look down their noses at chop suey and fried rice and such confections that we considered mere “Chinese-American.”

You can still get those dishes around town, of course, at a neighborhood Chinese eatery or even buried in the extensive menu of a fancier place. Lots of people love it. Let’s not shame them.

It comes down to this: There are probably more Chinese restaurants around Louisville these days than ever. Many are immigrant-run fast-food Chinese spots that seem to set up near just about every supermarket in town.

But Louisville’s heyday of serious regional Chinese eateries with skilled chefs who came from Taiwan, Hong Kong, or the Chinese mainland seems to have crested years ago, perhaps marked by the 2008 closure of the fabled Red Pepper Chinese.

Now that it’s easy to find fast-food Chinese just about everywhere, and now that our growing crowd of immigrant neighbors offers us a wider choice of world cuisine than ever before, it seems that we don’t often think about going for serious Chinese anymore.

But when I do hanker for a memorable Chinese meal that goes beyond the standard shopping-center menu, I’ll happily make the long trek out past Middletown for an outstanding meal at Jasmine Chinese Cuisine.

Breaking with the old tradition of offering two menus, one for Westerners and another, featuring more “challenging” dishes, for Chinese patrons, Jasmine brings it all together with about 200 dishes on the Chinese menu, each dish described in both Chinese characters and English. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
https://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/sich ... ll-jasmine

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section later today:
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Jasmine Chinese Cuisine
13825 English Villa Drive
244-8896
https://www.jasminetsubaki.com/
https://facebook.com/jasminechineselouisville

Noise Level: We shared the large room with only a few other diners during a late lunch, and the sound levels were as quiet as our living room.

Accessibility: The modern shopping-center space appears fully accessible to wheelchair users.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: For a top-notch Sichuanese meal, call J-a-s-m-i-n-e

by TP Lowe » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:54 pm

Jasmine has long been one of my favorites. Thanks for giving them a "plug!"
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:10 pm

A trip to Jasmine, Floyd’s Fork, and maybe Grater’s afterwards is basically a perfect day for me. I think I may have to have to pick up some pickled cabbage and beef with clear noodles or possibly brisket noodles this weekend, now that you’ve got me thinking about it.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:11 pm

I HIGHLY recommend their "twice cooked fish," preferably off the authentic side of the menu! (actually, all the twice cooked options are exceptional)
Andrew Mellman