Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Refills?

no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

Refills?

by Mike L » Sat May 28, 2022 5:56 pm

Before Covid, at a nice sit down restaurant, I could usually get at least 1 refill without having to waive down my waiter. Over the past year since we started going back out, it seems like I will never get an automatic refill and it's only 50/50 when I actually waive them down to ask for one. We just had an experience where my wife's drink was empty, she asked for a refill, and the waitress left for 5 minutes, then came back and cleaned the table next to us. No refill.

People need refills.

I know Covid happened and everyone is at a breaking point everywhere. But how can you expect people to spend 2 people to spend $30+ for a meal, and walk out of the restaurant literally parched?

I'm not going to put a problem out without at least a suggestion for a solution. Maybe restaurants need to put the drink fountain in the middle of the dining room and just let us refill for ourselves. Or maybe bring out two glasses of what I'm drinking, or leave a pitcher on the table.

Something. Anything. Please help us out. WATER!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Refills?

by Mark R. » Sat May 28, 2022 8:52 pm

I certainly agree and think it is an absolute necessity. I'm not so sure having the fountain in the middle of the restaurant for everyone to access would work however because of health concerns. I think the bringing of 2 glasses or upbringing a pitcher to the table would be a great solution
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun May 29, 2022 9:37 am

Restaurants are really fighting staffing issues right now, and I'm guessing that spending limited server time on running back to the kitchen and back to the table to refill free water is not a zero-priority but ranks under quite a few other priorities. :(
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sun May 29, 2022 4:44 pm

Mike L wrote:People need refills.

I agree, this is Serving 101. I typically go through three glasses in a meal -- my last few times eating out, I had no problem getting refills, at much less expensive places. And, 90 degree days are upon us.

If the shortage is a temporary problem, there are easy temp solutions, such as pitchers on the table, or a bank of pitchers nearby. I can't recall where, but one local place puts water in wine carafes on tables to allow patrons to refill. There are solutions.
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Mon May 30, 2022 5:03 pm

The water carafes sounds like Coals.

Another possible solution... If a restaurant searches its soul and realizes it just cannot manage refills, then give me the option of bringing my own drink. And I'm not talking about alcohol here. Just a soft drink or a bottled water I can serve myself.