Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Seviche

no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:56 am

And, oh yeah, as far as the decor, I believe Seviche has outstanding atmosphere. From locally commissioned paintings every few feet - each one so intentional and personalized - to a collection of hand selected, internationally procured relics and heirlooms. Every dog has it's day, so perhaps the florals were in need of attention on the night in question.
no avatar
User

NicoleC

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Cherokee Triangle

by NicoleC » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:03 pm

Gretchen D. wrote:
NicoleC wrote:Well, we did spend quite a bit BUT we had a wonderful meal. I especially loved my tuna special entree (it was huge) with pureed white beans. The flan for dessert was excellent, too.

I think I sat next to you on Friday night! I couldn't help but notice your order since our tables were so close together... were you seated almost in the corner in the back half of the restaurant (near a wood dresser)? I could tell that the people next to us were first timers. My husband and I arrived before you and stayed longer. Does that sound familiar? Actually, the close proximity of our tables is the first ever less than perfect part of any Seviche experience of mine. It is my favorite restaurant in Louisville, but there should really only be two tables in that space where we were seated, not three. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your food! As usual, ours was fantastic!!!

Yes, we must have been sitting next to each other. That is so funny. You're right -- the tables were close together -- the one reason that it didn't bother me too much is that it was better that they were at an angle. Also, we used to live in Chicago (and my husband in NYC) so, sadly, we're used to close quarter dining. Nice to kind of but not really meet you!
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:04 pm

I'm getting taken there for my Valentine's dinner (one day later) tomorrow!

I have been on a very very strict diet since the first of the year (23 lbs lost so far!) but I am splurging tomorrow night.

I told my boyfriend I might order two skirt steak entrees...just for myself.

We have reservations for 7:30 and I expect it will be pretty crazy around that time. I hope we don't have to wait too long for our table but, being in the business, I won't be disillusioned if we have to wait a few beats before being seated. And I'm going to leave my coat in the car (even though it could probably only be improved by having anything from Seviche spilled on it)...
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

Re: Seviche

by Marsha L. » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:01 am

Just wanted to report in about our dinner last night at Seviche:

Our reservation was for 7:30 and we were seated instantly. Our table was actually adjacent to that waiting area with sofas where Tina's group was chilly, but either the weather was a few degrees warmer or they've taken care of it with a few discreet space heaters - we were never uncomfortable for a minute.

Anthony greeted us personally and brought us each out a grilled mahi mahi "satay" (Chef told me the spanish word for this, but I can't remember this morning) served on white cabbage salsa with chimichurri. Fantastic way to start the evening.

For starters we ordered empanadas (there are three flavors, and they come in pairs, but thank goodness they let me order a plate of 3 - one of each). We'd had the wild mushroom/goat cheese one before, and it was as good as I remembered, but I think the beef empanada might actually eclipse it. The third one was delicious as well (chicken).

You might laugh, but the bf and I don't go to Seviche for...seviche. We are big fans of their beef work. So I normally sort of just skim over the seviche part of the menu - but luckily my date spied beef seviche on the list so we had to try that. Wow, amazing. Beautiful, ruby red soft beef tenderloin sliced super thin, seemed to have kissed the flattop for a sear before being marinated. We're already plotting going back sooner than we normally would splurge for a whole meal and just getting the beef seviche and cocktails.

Entrees were, of course, skirt steak for me and John got the steak special - 14oz "gaucho" sirloin topped with an amazing yellow pepper compound butter. Both were served with a luxurious red mash that really hit the spot since I haven't had any potatoes for two weeks! We skipped dessert (I just rarely order dessert unless I'm on an investigative mission) and drank local beer (BBC English Ale) and got out for $111 plus tip. Our server was Urith and like every time I've been there service was crisp and polished - brisk without feeling rushed, ever. Just perfect. And I got to meet Madi, who was hostessing last night, very cool.

Thanks to Anthony's team for another stellar evening.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Tina Marsh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:17 am

Louisville

by Tina Marsh » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:49 am

Madi, thanks for such an eloquent response. I do appreciate it.

Apparently I have said something bad about a favorite restaurant of everyone's. Sorry about that. Not sure if we should normally keep bad restaurant experiences to ourselves or not. I know I will, just for the sake of keeping the peace.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:09 am

Tina Marsh wrote:
Apparently I have said something bad about a favorite restaurant of everyone's. Sorry about that. Not sure if we should normally keep bad restaurant experiences to ourselves or not. I know I will, just for the sake of keeping the peace.

I think that recounting bad experiences are important. Otherwise the forum would just be one long lovefest and that wouldn't be desirable. Everyplace makes mistakes or has a certain problem. Some do a much better job than others.

Also, a bad report can keep a place on its toes and let the managers/owners know what is going on. Seviche obviously makes a concerted effort to do a good job and responds well to criticism. No doubt the large amount of praise is earned.

Tina, I would encourage you (and everyone else) to criticize a place when due and of course praise when it should be.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:18 am

Tina Marsh wrote:Madi, thanks for such an eloquent response. I do appreciate it.

Please don't do that, Tina! It's true that Seviche is a favorite around here, and in my opinion it earns that status through general excellence and through a very high level of concern about customer satisfaction.

But please bear in mind that discussing and debating restaurants is what we do here. It is ENTIRELY fair game to post a negative report based on your experiences, and I would hate to see you (or anyone) reluctant to do that. The fact that your comments draw responses shouldn't be something to take personally, and I don't see anyone directing personal abuse or attacks against you here.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:57 pm

Tina- I agree wholeheartedly with Steve and Robin. Personally I would rather a guest let me know when expectatons haven't been met so that amends can be made on the spot. But when that is not possible or if the guest isn't comfortable, posting here works too. One way that a good restaurant stays that way is listening and responding to criticism, especially when it is as well expressed and thought out as yours.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:08 pm

Hey, Tina, I didn't mean for you to feel like I was saying you were wrong about your experience - Madi's already confirmed your side of the coat story, and the rest of the stuff is just subjective and a matter of perception. We love the place, but we don't insist that everyone love it like we do.

I keep thinking about it, though. The mark of a great evening out. Afterwards, we went to Ear X-Tacy and blew sixty bucks on some CDs we didn't need, but really wanted. Anybody heard Herbie Hancock's Joni Mitchell tribute album? Nora Jones singing "Court and Spark"? Yes, please.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:09 pm

Marsha L. wrote:You might laugh, but the bf and I don't go to Seviche for...seviche. We are big fans of their beef work. So I normally sort of just skim over the seviche part of the menu - but luckily my date spied beef seviche on the list so we had to try that. Wow, amazing. Beautiful, ruby red soft beef tenderloin sliced super thin, seemed to have kissed the flattop for a sear before being marinated. We're already plotting going back sooner than we normally would splurge for a whole meal and just getting the beef seviche and cocktails.

Gary and I do go for the seviche,... well, and nearly anything on the menu, but we do love seviche. But we'd never seen beef seviche on any menu anywhere before, and although I was skeptical at first, I figured it was worth a try. It's one of my favorite things in the world. Wow. Fabulous.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:41 am

Marsha L. wrote:I keep thinking about it, though. The mark of a great evening out. Afterwards, we went to Ear X-Tacy and blew sixty bucks on some CDs we didn't need, but really wanted. Anybody heard Herbie Hancock's Joni Mitchell tribute album? Nora Jones singing "Court and Spark"? Yes, please.

Hancock won the Grammy for album of the year. I hadn't heard of it until then but it's on my ipod now.
no avatar
User

Tina Marsh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:17 am

Louisville

by Tina Marsh » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:24 am

Okay, okay...I'll keep being vocal (well, as vocal as 30-some posts allow :) ) and expressing my opinions, good or bad. Mostly good about most places.

Marsha, my husband couldn't resist the lure of Ear X-Tacy afterward, either. Reminded him of some of the old, hip record stores he used to haunt as a teenager in Hollywood (he and his brother would sneak over to Hollywood Blvd. to buy their Doc Martens and long trench coats back in the 80's. Ah, so different than my life growing up in Louisville...) Anyway, that was definitely his favorite part of the evening. That is really a great music store.
Previous