Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Yen for enchiladas lures us to La Cocina de Mama

by Robin Garr » Wed May 11, 2022 8:54 am

Yen for enchiladas lures us to La Cocina de Mama

We came for enchiladas and ultimately chose the mole style, a seductive blend of chocolate and hot-chocolate flavors and earthy cotija cheese.

I hate to say that my food cravings are easily influenced what I see and hear. It’s true, though. All it takes is a tempting phrase in a cooking article or an attractive food photo in a culinary video, and I’ve got to have it right now.

This time it was The New York Times that sent me out looking for Mexican food thanks to a lyrical dissertation, “All Enchiladas Are Perfect. But These Are My Favorite,” in the April 27 edition.

Oh! Yes! I had to have enchiladas, and I needed them right now. I’d been meaning to check La Cocina de Mamá for quite a while, anyway. “Mom’s Cooking,” what could be more lovable than that?

Located in a short strip of stores on Hurstbourne just south of Westport Road, it’s attractively decorated with stylish art and walls in various colors reminiscent of red chiles, green avocados and golden corn tortillas.

The menu is completely in English except for the names of the dishes, and the servers speak English and Spanish with equal fluency. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/enchi ... ocina-mama

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section later today:
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

La Cocina de Mamá
2809 Hurstbourne Lane
822-3506
lacocinademamaky.com
Facebook: https://bit.ly/CocinaMamaII

Noise Level: The restaurant was fairly full for Saturday lunch, and it was loud enough to make conversation difficult. Decibel levels averaged 77dB (a car 25 feet away going 65 mph) with peaks to 84dB (a diesel truck going 40 mph at 50 feet away).

Accessibility: The shopping-center space appears to be fully accessible.

Another location: 535 Main St., Shelbyville, Ky, (502) 633-1114.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Yen for enchiladas lures us to La Cocina de Mama

by Andrew Mellman » Wed May 11, 2022 1:58 pm

From your "noise levels" comments I couldn't be sure if you ate inside or out, but during the current increase in Covid rates it's worth noting that they took over part of the side parking lot for a quite usable outdoor dining patio!

Actually we eat there frequently now as we're still eating mainly outside; we still like Mariachi (just down the street a mile away?) slightly better, but feel this is in our top five or so. . .
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 11, 2022 8:46 pm

Andrew, I like Mariachi a little better, but I was pleasantly impressed.

At this point, doubly boosted and in good physical shape, we're still eating inside, but keeping an eye on the daily positivity reports for sure.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu May 12, 2022 4:25 pm

This restaurant has been 1 of our go to places for Mexican since they 1st opened that location. Their food is very good and they have a lot of variety in menus. Their Salsa is some of the best around and it definitely homemade. Their chips are also nice and light and not as heavy as a heart a lot of places. We definitely like Mariachi but we prefer Cocina. We've never been to their location in Shelbyville however from what I've heard it is also quite good.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"