Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Gasthaus

User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

Re: Gasthaus

by Lonnie Turner » Mon May 16, 2022 4:18 am

Carol C wrote:The Monarch Club... The Bavarian Dine Inn (originally was the Monarch Club)... Out Dixie, Peggy Butt, was an interesting person

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/louisvi ... ts-32.html

My notes from the time say the Bavarian Dine Inn was at 5229 Dixie Hwy. Didn't know about the Monarch Club, or what's there now.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 16, 2022 9:51 am

Lonnie, I believe you've jogged my memory: After Peggy Butt closed the Monarch Club, she moved to Dixie Highway and ran the Bavarian Dine Inn there for a relatively short time. Does that sound right?
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Mon May 16, 2022 3:05 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Lonnie, I believe you've jogged my memory: After Peggy Butt closed the Monarch Club, she moved to Dixie Highway and ran the Bavarian Dine Inn there for a relatively short time. Does that sound right?

We'd had it on our watch list for a while & finally made it there to eat in late '94. We were hosted by an elderly German woman (thick accent) also named Turner. We had rouladen & Kaiser schnitzel that was out of this world. Not sure how long it lasted after that.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 16, 2022 8:34 pm

Lonnie, I was away from town for the first half of the '90s - I bailed from the CJ in 1990 after I'd had all of Gannett management that I could stand, and took on a project for a NYC-based nonprofit that took about five years before we came back. Which is a long-winded way of saying I dunno when it closed. :)
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

Re: Gasthaus (a bit about Common Haus)

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun May 22, 2022 8:37 pm

It's been a while since I dropped in, and I'm shocked that my laptop remembered the password.

As a recovering former business owner, I'm the beer director for both Pints&union and Common Haus Hall, which are owned by Joe Phillips.

To me, Gasthaus is sui generis. It cannot be replaced, period, and I think we're all sounding off as one in the hope that someone takes over. I've been to Germany often, and Gasthaus has always been as good or better than the majority of places I've eaten there (allowing for more regional variation in Germany cuisine than most Americans think).

At Common Haus, we haven't made any claims to be an "authentic" German restaurant. We're German-inspired, although we have a fantastic chef (Jonathan Exum, late of Jack Fry's), and the menu is being kept relatively simple in the beginning. Like everyone else, we're trying to find enough workers to expand operating hours.

I think the beer selection at Common Haus is first-rate, but of course I'm biased. With the exception of a single IPA as a concession to modernity, the drafts are center-of-the-target German stylistically, whether imported or brewed by local/regional craft brewers.

I've found the Gasthaus discussions here and elsewhere fascinating. There's an interesting discussion about authenticity and tradition waiting to occur. Perhaps Robin can convene a panel.

The salient point, which I believe Mrs. Greipel referenced in the LEO article, is the relative rarity these days of Germans coming to America and opening an eatery. Immigration patterns have obviously changed. At Common Haus we've observed that our customers make fewer comparisons with actual German food in Germany, presumably having not traveled there, as with their grandmother's handed-down recipes, or to other German-inspired American restaurants (Jasper's Schnitzelbank, et al).

So, I'd say we're riffing off classic concepts at Common Haus, and leave it at this. Here's the web site: https://www.commonhaushall.com/
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue May 24, 2022 4:41 pm

Thanks for posting that link Roger. It looks wonderful and will be my next dining venture. :D
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed May 25, 2022 7:46 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:It's been a while since I dropped in, and I'm shocked that my laptop remembered the password.

Roger! Great to see you here.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 25, 2022 8:40 am

TP Lowe wrote:Roger! Great to see you here.

It's always a pleasure to welcome Roger back for a visit!
Previous