Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Big Bad Breakfast brings another morning option

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:48 am

Big Bad Breakfast brings another morning option

The huevos rancheros grit bowl brings South of the Border flavors to the table with pico de gallo, black beans and tortillas to accompany poached eggs and cheese grits.

After Lynn’s Paradise Cafe closed abruptly in 2013, it left a vacant building and a crowd of nearby merchants crying over the loss of a neighborhood commercial anchor.

Martin’s Bar-B-Que Joint filled the space for a couple of years, but soon became a victim of the pandemic.

It took another year for the latest occupant to fill the space again. Bad Breakfast looks like a good fit, though. Like Lynn’s, the new entry – first Kentucky franchise of a small but growing chain based in Oxford, Mississippi – offers hearty breakfast and lunch dishes in a down-home setting.

Llike Lynn’s at its peak, Big Bad Breakfast appears to be drawing a happy. noisy crowd that craves breakfast from morning through midday. It’s filling those seats in the face of plentiful competition, too.

After all, Louisville loves breakfast, and probably always has. We’ve got dozens of eateries that focus on the morning meal. You want breakfast? We’ve got breakfast. You’ve probably got your favorites … me too! But there’s always room for more, and Big Bad Breakfast nicely fills the space that once was Lynn’s.

The wacky decor, ugly lamps and offbeat antiques that gave Lynn’s its charateristic personality are gone, replaced by a generic faux-Southern look with funny slogans, folk-art drawings of farm animals, and a wall-size mural of Louisville celebrities posed in a black-and-white parody of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.

The chain’s founder, chef and cookbook author John Currence, who grew up and earned his cooking spurs in New Orleans, won the James Beard Award for Best Chef South in 2009 at his City Grocery in Oxford. He founded Big Bad Breakfast (let’s call it BBB) there in 2010, and the chain has expanded slowly across five Southern states. Louisville’s outpost opened in February as the chain’s tenth property.

We stopped by for lunch the other day and enjoyed a bountiful meal and first-rate service in a clean, bright, and happily noisy scene. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/big-bad-breakfast

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly online later today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Big Bad Breakfast
984 Barret Ave.
289-8227
https://bigbadbreakfast.com/locations/louisville
https://facebook.com/bigbadbreakfastlouisville

Noise Level: Conversation was possible but sometimes challenging as crowd noise, bolstered by background music, recorded an average of 75dB (the level of music on your stereo) with peaks to 82.2dB (the range of a garbage disposal).

Accessibility: The entrance from the parking lot is up two steps, but wheelchair users can gain full access through doors on the Barret Avenue side.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Big Bad Breakfast brings another morning option

by Mark R. » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:35 pm

Sadly, this is a regional chain and the food is nowhere near as good nor original as Lynn's was. It's certainly better than having nothing in the building but... Also as you mentioned there is a way for somebody in a wheelchair to enter the building they have to enter through a 2nd entrance instead of the main entrance. I'm not sure how this meets the ADA requirements, especially considering the amount of money that has been spent on the building.

The 2nd location that's going into the old Corbett's building is an interesting development. Either they got the building at a steal, their prices are gonna be significantly higher or the profit margin on breakfast is a lot better than other meals but it seems like that have a hard time making it work in that building.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:42 am

Sounds good! I see where they are adding a second location where Corbetts used to be, which is great for us down here in Lower Prospectia..

GG
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:09 pm

Gary Guss wrote:Sounds good! I see where they are adding a second location where Corbetts used to be, which is great for us down here in Lower Prospectia..

GG

I mentioned that in my post and I really don't see how they can make it work financially there. The building is significantly smaller, seats fewer people and unless they were basically given the building for a price significantly lower than it was on the market for I don't see how it will work financially.

User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:09 pm

Gary Guss wrote:Sounds good! I see where they are adding a second location where Corbetts used to be, which is great for us down here in Lower Prospectia..

GG

I mentioned that in my post and I really don't see how they can make it work financially there. The building is significantly smaller, seats fewer people and unless they were basically given the building for a price significantly lower than it was on the market for I don't see how it will work financially.

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:08 pm

Mark R. wrote:I mentioned that in my post and I really don't see how they can make it work financially there. The building is significantly smaller, seats fewer people and unless they were basically given the building for a price significantly lower than it was on the market for I don't see how it will work financially.

How long has the place been vacant? The landlord may figure a small lease payment is better than none.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:21 pm

Place has been vacant forever and renting it for a lower rate is preferable to no rent coming in. Dont know who owns the building, but any rent is better than having to shell out for heat power light and maintenance. I suspect breakfast may actually be cheaper to produce being mostly egg and sausage and wheat based vs. higher priced proteins like fish and beef. There's a good reason why people have pancake breakfasts as fund raisers. Being in the east end, they should be able to command a good price on selling those mimosas and bellinis..
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:59 pm

Gary, I think you've nailed it.