Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Penzey's Spices

no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Penzey's Spices

by Mike D » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:16 am

We were at Shelbyville Road Plaza yesterday and were saddened to see that the Penzey's space is empty.

When did they leave? An internet search seems to indicate that they have not relocated in the area.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Penzey's Spices

by JustinHammond » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:54 am

I doubt their Facebook posts helped them. Pretty aggressive for a business.

Republicans are racist weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/PenzeysLouisville/
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:10 am

I get their emails and in the last one they said they were reevaluating some of the storefronts. I’m sorry to see them go, but not surprised. You have to sell a lot of spices to cover rent.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:38 am

I love Penzey's, and I admired Bill Penzey's decision to go full-bore political during the hard times. I also liked his practice of protecting workers during the pandemic by limiting store service to ordering online and picking up from a rack out front. Good stuff, and I tried to give them a little extra business during that period.

But all that said, Lotsa Pasta has a pretty decent collection of spices, and I like to support that local firm too. They don't do all the spice blends, but to be honest, I'd rather do that myself anyway.