Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: best "family" Italian in town?

by Steve Shade » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:06 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Nathaniel C wrote:Vincenzo’s is also a solid choice based on my old experience.

At least in our opinion Vincenzo's may have been good at one time but nowadays it's far from near the top of the list! Their food is mediocre at best, the pricing is way too high for what it is and the decor is very downtrodden. You can tell they are hurting for business just because they continuously have great discounts on Groupon! That alone demonstrates that their menu prices are extremely inflated.
Mark ... I agree 100 percent. Used a groupon some time ago and we were put in the back of the place. Food not to good and service same. Vincenzo came by and walked by us and said "how is everything" but did not stop for an answer. All of the above named places had better food and service.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:07 pm

I miss Mama Grisanti's, :cry:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Joe C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:50 pm

Louisville, KY

by Joe C » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:16 am

Transplanted NJ (Southern) Italian
Not a fan of Milantoni's
My choices are: Silvio's, Come Back Inn and Milano's

Miss Ray Parella's
Joe C
Live to Ride, Ride to Eat!
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:02 am

Family Italian is a hot topic in our house. Husband is a Jersey boy, our last name ends with i. Ya know. He is blown away by the price of food here, particularly Italian honestly. I guess we need to drive out and try Milano's.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:06 pm

Heather L wrote:Family Italian is a hot topic in our house. Husband is a Jersey boy, our last name ends with i. Ya know. He is blown away by the price of food here, particularly Italian honestly. I guess we need to drive out and try Milano's.

It's definitely worth a try!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:41 am

I agree Vincenzo's is not a family restaurant in the sense I think the OP intended the question. However, it does have its place. As a business lunch spot it excels; dinner prior to the orchestra is ideal. I appreciate that they managed to stay open during the past two years, even if there were only a couple of servers needed and a few tables taken. FWIW, I've been to many well-executed private events there, including my company's 20th anniversary, which they handled beautifully.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:19 am

TP Lowe wrote:I agree Vincenzo's is not a family restaurant in the sense I think the OP intended the question. However, it does have its place. As a business lunch spot it excels; dinner prior to the orchestra is ideal. I appreciate that they managed to stay open during the past two years, even if there were only a couple of servers needed and a few tables taken. FWIW, I've been to many well-executed private events there, including my company's 20th anniversary, which they handled beautifully.

Your experience is certainly very different than ours and my companies. In both cases we've had extremely bad experiences and will not consider returning there again. Even her invited by someone else and they are paying we probably wouldn't go left we really wanted to see the people inviting us for some reason or other! I'm certainly good you had a good experience but that's certainly not what many people we know and ourselves have had since well before the pandemic.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:05 pm

I'm certainly good you had a good experience but that's certainly not what many people we know and ourselves have had since well before the pandemic.

It’s definitely not in the realm of “family Italian” and so probably doesn’t merit discussion in the subject thread. However, we have had two very good post-pandemic experiences at Vincenzo’s - more in line with TP’s experience rather than Mark’s and his “many people”. It’s old school and there is a place for that in the dining realm.
Previous