Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Hyderabad House brings the biryani

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:53 am

Hyderabad House brings the biryani

Biryani, India's trademark rice dish, is a weekend special at Hyderabad House, and it draws crowds with its oversize portions and memorable flavors.

Biryani: India’s mouth-watering rice dish, a meal in itself, stands tall against other national rice-based competitors such as Spain’s paella, Italy’s risotto, Nigeria’s jollof rice, Indonesia’s nasi goreng, Louisiana’s jambalaya, or Persia’s pilaf.

What is biryani, anyway? It’s a hearty rice dish layered with lamb, chicken, fish, or vegetables, scented with saffron and aromatic Indian spices, sauced with a thick gravy, and roasted in a covered pot until the flavors join in a resounding gustatory chorus. 

Biryani topped the takeaway charts across India last year, The Times of India reported. One online-ordering app tallied 60 million plates of biryani delivered in a single year, topping the nation’s food popularity charts.

So where can we sample this tantalizing treat? Just about every Indian restaurant offers a variation, but if you want to make your taste buds sing, I recommend a visit to Hyderabad House, a year-old Indian spot in a short strip of shops in Middletown.

“Experience the taste of authentic Indian food that will pamper your taste buds like never before,” Hyderabad House boasts on its Facebook page. You can get lots of traditional Indian treats there, of course, but biryani is the clear specialty, with 35 variations listed on an entire menu page and more on its special weekend menus.

About one-third of them are vegetarian, with the rest divided among egg, chicken, goat, lamb, and seafood variations. They come in three sizes: Regular, a family pack big enough for four, and biryani in a bucket – I am not kidding about this – the size of the Colonel’s biggest bucket but much more tasty. Prices range from $13 to $18 for the regular. size, which will easily feed two, to $44 to $58 for the family packs and buckets, which are made to-go only.

The rest of the menu is worthy, too. It features about 100 Indian regional specialties priced between $10 and $18. There’s a selection of nine pulavs, akin to pilafs, which are made only Fridays through Sundays. They’re priced in the same range as the biryanis, and I want to go back and try one soon.

It took a while to absorb the menu, which contains a lot of less familiar Indian names. (Bring your Google, or rely on the help of the friendly servers.) ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/hyder ... se-biryani

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly online.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Hyderabad House Louisville
12412 Shelbyville Road
405-8788
http://hhlouisville.com
https://facebook.com/hyderabadhouselouisville
https://instagram.com/hyderabad_house_louisville

Noise Level: The room was just about full on a Saturday, but the well separated, high-back booths kept our table in a cone of silence.

Accessibility: The restaurant appears fully accessible to wheelchair users, and except for the booths, it would be easy to bring a wheelchair up to any of the tables.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Hyderabad House brings the biryani

by James Natsis » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:35 am

"The medium heat was plenty palate-scorching. Another step up might have been … problematic."
As in not being able to feel your mouth! Yeah, it kindda spoils the experience. Thanks for the warning.

This is a nice review, Robin. My gosh, you got me thinking in different terms regarding Indian food. Indulging in such a range of biryanis and other items on the menu I have never heard of seems to require a full season of a culinary exploratory expedition. Its so hard to settle for just a singular choice!............ that stated, Hyderabad will be on my summer list!
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:51 pm

It was a fun little place, James. Definitely spruced up from the previous occupant and, yes, a fascinating menu. I don't know if tis is particularly a weekend thing or all week, but it was curious to be the only non-Indian people there. The staff was 100 percent cordial, though, and happy to help with the menu if needed.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:53 pm

It did occur to me later that while I asked for the top hot level but the tab said "medium," it could have been that I really did get hot but the tab was wrong. So, dunno. Depending on your tolerance for heat, I wouldn't discourage experimenting. Or discussion with the server!