Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

4 Top Minimum for a Table Reservation??

by Ray Griffith » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:16 pm

I tried to book a table at a local restaurant for 2 through Open Table and there was a note that 4 was the minimum for a table. This is the first I’ve heard of this practice. Has anyone heard of this?
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

Re: 4 Top Minimum for a Table Reservation??

by Mike L » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:22 pm

Seems like a bad idea. A lot of people who go out are on a date night or celebrating a special occasion with their SO.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:57 am

I’m going to guess that it has something to do with the ongoing labor shortage, but no idea what.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:47 pm

Did they mean they wouldn't see you if you were only a couple or if they would take a reservation for a group smaller than 4? If it's the 1st it sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen! Definitely discriminatory against couples which seems like it should be against the law if it's not.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:37 pm

Mark R. wrote:Did they mean they wouldn't see you if you were only a couple or if they would take a reservation for a group smaller than 4? If it's the 1st it sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen! Definitely discriminatory against couples which seems like it should be against the law if it's not.

They would seat 2 or 3 at a table if it was available. It is just that they will not reserve a table for less than 4. They said that it was due to their small size. I am still a bit disheartened and I think it’s an overall bad policy for business, but not enough to keep me from going.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:03 pm

I remember when Garretts restaurant first opened on Lime Kiln back in the Dark Ages . . . For the first couple of months they had only 4-tops in the place (plus two 6-tops). They would only take reservations for four or six, as they didn't want to seat two people at a larger table (and give up the extra money). Also, on their patio (at the Shelbyville Rd location) the tables were screwed to the floor, so if you had a party of 8 you were just out of luck! I guess there were a lot of complaints, as eventually they opened the reservations for both larger and smaller parties and got some tables that were movable.

Also, there are many restaurants in the area that only accept reservations for parties of six or more. My mind went blank for names, but we run into the problem frequently as during the pandemic if we do go out it's usually with only one other couple.
Andrew Mellman