Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

The Language of Food: This book helps us interpret the menu

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:02 am

The Language of Food: This book helps us interpret the menu and more

Dan Jurafsky’s 2014 book, The Language of Food: A Linguist Reads the Menu.
“Can you figure out how much your dinner will cost by counting the words on the menu? Food, and how we describe it, can tell us a lot about what it's going to cost us when we go out to eat tonight.”

The Louisville Free Public Library’s e-book blurb about Stanford University professor and MacArthur Fellow Dan Jurafsky’s 2014 book, The Language of Food: A Linguist Reads the Menu got my attention fast. I knew a book that dives into culinary linguistics and statistics too would be a great read for a word nerd and food geek like me.

A James Beard semifinalist in 2014, this book takes a deep dive into both culinary linguistics and statistics. I grabbed the library e-book and dived in.

“Every time you read a description of a dish on a menu, Jurafsky wrote, “you are looking at all sorts of latent linguistic clues, clues about how we think about wealth and social class, how our society views our food, even clues about all sorts of things that restaurant marketers might not want us to know.”

Jurafsky didn’t just ruminate about how restaurant menus use words. He gathered the data to prove it. Boy oh boy, did he ever gather the data.

He and three scientists from Carnegie-Mellon University in Pittsburgh scoured the Web to find 650,000 dishes on 6,500 menus from restaurants in New York, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington DC, San Francisco, and Los Angeles.

This large data set allowed them to control for city, neighborhood, type of cuisine, even the restaurant’s neighborhood, across a range of menu prices from cheap to high-end.

The data revealed that menu wording varies fairly consistently against entree price. Cheaper restaurants typically have lots more dishes, and they explain them in very different language than language that pricey eateries use to describe a more limited bill of fare, where the food came from and how it was prepared.

All that research, and guess what they found!? The most expensive restaurants mention the origins of the food more than 15 times as often as inexpensive restaurants!”

No!

Yes! “Obsession with provenance is a strong indicator that you are in an expensive, fancy restaurant?” Somehow this didn’t surprise me.

Similarly, you probably won’t be gobsmacked to learn that expensive restaurants typically use longer words. “When a restaurant uses longer words to describe a dish, it charges more for the dish.” Add one letter to the menu’s word-length average, add 18 cents to the price of that dish! Make your words three letters longer on average, “and your customers will pay 54 cents extra for your roast chicken or pasta.”

What’s more, expensive restaurants typically have shorter menus with relatively few choices, allowing the kitchen to focus on fancy preparation. Cheap eats often bring a greater range of items that come quickly from the grill or fryer.

“We found that expensive restaurants have half as many dishes as cheap ($) restaurants,” Jurafsky wrote. Cheap restaurants, on the other hand, drop the fancy words in favor of positive but vague terms intended to whet our appetite: Repetitive synonyms like delicious, tasty, mouth-watering, flavorful, scrumptious, and savory; praiseful words like terrific, wonderful, delightful, and sublime; and appealing adjectives that describe the food in an appetizing way: zesty, rich, golden brown, crispy, or crunchy.

All of which raises the obvious question: Do Louisville restaurants follow these big-city practices? I didn’t do a deep data dive or write any software, but a glance at a handful of local menus suggests that they sort of do.

Among favorite modestly priced local diners and world-food eateries, D. Nalley’s in Old Louisville lists about 40 menu options. Its menu entices us with terms like “tenderly fried” and “grilled to perfection.” It’s all true, too. Aladdin’s Mediterranean Cuisine, a New Albany favorite, lists some 50 menu choices. The lamb chops are “perfectly seasoned,” and the tzatziki sauce on the gyros is “original.” Most dishes at both restaurants are $10 or below.

Just a few dollars more up the ladder, Goose Creek Diner’s colorful menu offers about 50 dishes priced up to $15, often described in expansive language like “Tender salmon lightly seasoned then grilled to perfection” and “the best fried green tomatoes in Louisville!” That’s true, too.

On the more upscale side, 211 Clover Lane in St. Matthews lists just 11 main dishes, with prices up to $55 for a grilled filet mignon from Creekstone Farms. The bill of fare at La Chasse in the Highlands offers six entrees, topped at $50 with a NY strip steak – au poivre and wood-grilled, the menu assures us – from Blackhawk Farms in Princeton, Ky. Over in New Albany, Brooklyn & the Butcher includes both Creekstone and Black Hawk farms’ beef among its seven specialty steaks, peaking at $74 for a full pound of prime rib eye.

I guess you’re getting the idea. This is a good book, and reading it will teach you something while it makes you hungry. And that’s before you get to the other chapters about food words and they way they illustrate the world-ranging stories of our favorite foods and their names and how they got that way.

Who knew that our bright red, sweet tomato ketchup evolved from an ancient Chinese fermented fish sauce that also gave birth to rum along the way? Or that a Persian sweet-and-sour stewed beef called sikbj that dates back more than 2,000 years somehow found its way down to modern fish and chips, not to mention seviche, tempura, and even jiggly aspic?

For ll that and much more. I highly recommend The Language of Food: A Linguist Reads the Menu. Carmichael’s bookstore can order it for you, and it’s available in the Louisville Free Public Library’s e-book collection and, of course, on Amazon.

Read this article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/language-food-book

You'll also find this commentary in LEO Weekly online later this week.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Buy Dan Jurafsky's The Language of Food on Amazon.com:
https://amzn.to/3tWvKM8
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: The Language of Food: This book helps us interpret the m

by James Natsis » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:34 pm

This is a bit off subject but Robin's piece intersects with a certain observation I have with language and food.

I worked in a fancy restaurant many years ago in St Louis. The menu used quite a bit of French and at the time I didn't understand any French at all. But I realized that, for example, listing an accompaniment as "carottes au beurre" rather than any slight of hand version of "buttered carrots" would fare better with the high price that was listed.

Later when I started traveling, I found that efforts to translate words at all costs into English were very misleading or simply bizarre such as "pancakes" for crepes, "coffee with milk" for cafe au lait or cafe con leche, "nice salad" for a salade nicoise, "egg and lemon soup" for avgolemono soup, "crescent rolls" for croissants, "spinach pie" for spanakopia, "vietnamese soup" for pho, etc. You just don't know what the heck you are going to get! Its like who knows what May 5th represents at first glance until it is presented as Cinco de Mayo.
James J. Natsis
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:49 pm

We were in Cincy this weekend and had plans to eat at Boca. After having to google numerous menu items I just gave up and ate pizza at Goodfellas. Granted I speak zero Italian.

https://www.bocacincinnati.com/menu/

Pommes Soufflés "1949"
Golden Crouton
Beet Mezzaluna
Potato Plin
Coquilles "L,Assiette"
Lumache con Salsiccia e Funghi
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:41 pm

That's sort of Franco-Italian and more than a little pretentious, Justin! I get most of it, but I'm sure I couldn't if I hadn't traveled quite a bit in Italy and France. A menu that fails to communicate isn't doing its job, although maybe this is where the server gets their opportunity to up-sell. :twisted:
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:04 pm

I always enjoyed eating out in Montreal . . .under the law there, all items had to be listed in both English and French. I know just enough menu French so that - combined with the more prosaic English descriptions - gave me a quite realistic view of what each dish would contain!

I wonder if the research (and what Robin found) would hold true with the local establishments that have multi-language menus? Admittedly, most of those are Asian of some form, and I cannot read logograms or Hanzi, but if someone had a LOT of time on their hands . . .
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:43 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:I wonder if the research (and what Robin found) would hold true with the local establishments that have multi-language menus? Admittedly, most of those are Asian of some form, and I cannot read logograms or Hanzi, but if someone had a LOT of time on their hands . . .

Andrew, I tried that - within the limits of my very weak skills - with a menu from Oriental House and a Chinese-English menu dictionary once. The results, while limited, were that you can usually pick out the meat, but the rest of the Chinese words tend to be more poetic or metaphorical. I didn't write it up, and it's been a long time, so I'm sorry I can't be more specific.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:15 am

Was the Unique Chicken Smell at Red Pepper a lost in translation situation?
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:01 am

JustinHammond wrote:Was the Unique Chicken Smell at Red Pepper a lost in translation situation?

I'm not sure if it was lost or found. I'm pretty sure that - and some of their other dishes too - were direct translations, not altered for the benefit of us foreigners.

Damn, I miss Red Pepper.