Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Delicious tofu takeout at Heart & Soy

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:53 am

Delicious tofu takeout at Heart & Soy

Vietnamese rice-noodle salad is chock full of peanuts and flavored tofu bites, with fresh lettuce, carrot slices, and plenty of tender rice noodles underneath.

I’m pretty sure I unleashed a small rant last autumn when the Delta variant was coming on, threatening to retreat into takeout dining until things blew over a bit.

I didn’t actually do that. I’m vaccinated, and now boosted too, so what, me worry?

But the other day, eyeing news reports about the Omicron variant and rising positivity tolls, I started thinking about takeout again.

Yeah, vaccinated and boosted. I said that. But it seems that breakthrough Omicron cases are rising, and even if healthy vaccinated people who catch this plague have symptoms only like the flu … hey! I had flu once. I don’t want to go through that again.

So, don’t get me wrong. I’ll belly up to a restaurant table again soon. Takeout only works for me for eateries within 15 or 20 miles of my house. I can’t keep it hot and fresh much longer than that.

So, I’m craving Vietnam Kitchen under its new second-generation ownership, for example, and takeout just won’t do for a South End trip. Not to mention some New Albany spots that I’ve had my eye on.

For this week, though, triggered by thoughts of Vietnamese food, Heart & Soy popped into my mind. This little Highlands spot – partner at the same address to its more upscale sibling Roots – is good, it’s affordable, and it’s street food. By definition street food is comfortable fare made to carry around and stay delicious even after it cools off a little.

Just like that, there we were, properly masked in Heart & Soy’s attractive dining room with its cool Zen mood, looking over its intriguing chalkboard menu. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/tofu- ... -heart-soy

You'll also find this commentary in LEO Weekly online later this week.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Heart & Soy
1216 Bardstown Road
452-6678
http://heartandsoy.net
https://facebook.com/HeartAndSoyRoots

Noise Level: The dining room was empty and soundless when we picked up our to-go lunch order.

Accessibility: There are no steps at the entrance and restrooms, but wheelchair users will have to negotiate two heavy doors at the Bardstown Road entrance.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Delicious tofu takeout at Heart & Soy

by Mark R. » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:17 am

Okay, I admit it's probably just me but I've never had delicious TOFU! About the only the only dish I've ever had that had Tofu in it that I enjoyed was hot and sour soup! I know many people who enjoy eating it but it's not for me.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:56 am

Mark R. wrote:Okay, I admit it's probably just me but I've never had delicious TOFU! About the only the only dish I've ever had that had Tofu in it that I enjoyed was hot and sour soup! I know many people who enjoy eating it but it's not for me.

Have you tried crispy fried tofu? Those little cubes or triangles are perfect vehicles for dipping in any number of different Asian sauces. Crisp on the outside, light fluffy/creamy on the inside. It's about texture as much as flavor. Still, I can understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:23 pm

The crispy fried triangle tofu pieces with a tasty dipping sauce is my go-to appetizer at Simply Thai---good stuff!

I havent been to Heart and Soy in a few years, but my recollection is that their choices were so abundant that it was heart to make a choice! They make their own soy products which is visible from the dining area. The tofu experience in such a place is a lot different from that coming out of a corporate-made plastic carton found on a local Kroger shelf.
James J. Natsis