Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: When KFC gets faux chik’n, plant-based meat’s time has c

by Mark R. » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:32 am

JustinHammond wrote:
Mark R. wrote:I wish they would quit calling this and other "Faux" products Meat! They are not meat and never will be. Call them what they are not selling they want to be! To be honest it pushes the margin of being "false advertising" IMHO. :twisted: :roll:

Yes.

Meat comes from animals. If you don't want to eat animals for whatever reason, fine. I don't get the need to seek out some jacked up concoction of ingredients that have a tiny resemblance of meat. I've tried a few of the "Beyond" products and find them disgusting. And after reading some of the ingredients on the fake meat products, I'm not sure if they are any healthier anyway.

My Point Exactly!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:12 am

You don't have to get it and you don't have to eat it or seek it out, so who cares? Don't eat them if you find them disgusting and move on.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:17 am

Heather L wrote:You don't have to get it and you don't have to eat it or seek it out, so who cares? Don't eat them if you find them disgusting and move on.

Nice
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:10 pm

It never fails....something positive is posted about vegetarian or non-meat products and the carnivores get upset and for some reason, take it personal.
If you look up the definition of the word "meat" you'll find several referring to food quality. Basically it's the part of ANY FOOD that does not refer to the husk or shell. Nut meats, as an example.
Geez Louise.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:01 pm

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:52 am

JustinHammond wrote:https://www.forbes.com/sites/daphneewingchow/2020/06/28/not-all-meatless-meats-are-good-for-your-health-or-the-environment/

Well that was very interesting and informative. ( It was a bit....odd (?) that within the article they compared fat contents between a whopper sized vegan burger and a WhiteCastle sized meat slider. Given that one is roughly 1/4 lb and the other is about the size of 4 postage stamps making me think the article may be a wee bit slanted but let's overlook that. )
But frankly I don't see what the argument is about? Are we discussing what's good/bad for people, the environment, the meat industry, which? Because there are pros and cons just as there are with anything whether you're talking about drinking alcohol or drinking milk. People are vegan/vegetarians for a myriad of different reasons from religious ideals, to health benefits to environmental reasons, to what their budget can afford.
Is it anyone's place to argue with religious ideals, anyone health issues or their budget? As far as environmental issues go, is there a comparison to to what a hundred acres of soybeans does to the environment and what a healthy sized heard of beef can do to the same acreage or the surrounding air for that matter?
So whenever I hear the arguments against non-meat products I tend to hear the voices of the same meat industry moguls that attempted to sue Oprah Winfrey for simply saying she would never eat another hamburger. And I can't stand a bully.

All which brings us back to this....
Heather L wrote:You don't have to get it and you don't have to eat it or seek it out, so who cares? Don't eat them if you find them disgusting and move on.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:46 am

Take Burger King’s Whopper, for instance, and compare it to the meatless Impossible Whopper. The all-beef burger only has 30 more calories than the meat alternative, one more gram of saturated fat and 270 mg less sodium. White Castle’s original meat slider, on the other hand, actually has 70 fewer calories, 4 fewer grams of fat and 170 fewer milligrams of sodium than its meatless counterpart.

There is not argument. I was agreeing with Mark's statement that I'm not a fan of fake "meat". I find it to be pretty much be a marketing ploy. Just my opinion. Pretty sure that is what a forum is for, opinions, not moving on. I eat meat, but I'm trying to move to a more vegetable driven diet. I've tried the fake "meat" options and just do not like the taste, texture, or ingredients.

I eat at Red Hog (a butcher shop) multiple times a month and tend to eat vegetarian while there. They do excellent meatless dishes with real food.

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:18 am

My apologies if I over reacted. Best of luck with your newest dietary ventures. :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:55 pm

JustinHammond wrote:I eat at Red Hog (a butcher shop) multiple times a month and tend to eat vegetarian while there. They do excellent meatless dishes with real food.

That's a great philosophy. V-Grits is pretty spectacular in a different way: Chef Kristina makes "chicken" out of mushrooms and "beef" and "ham" with wheat gluten and turns out really good down-home fare that's utterly non-processed and doesn't even use tofu. Worth a look if you haven't been, Justin, but I suspect you have.
Previous