Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

When KFC gets faux chik’n, plant-based meat’s time has come

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:10 am

When KFC gets faux chik’n, plant-based meat’s time has come

Break one of KFC's new Beyond Fried Chicken nuggets in half and it even tears in strands like chicken, which is kind of pleasantly eerie.

If you still think the recent wave of faux meats made from plants is just a passing fad that won’t last, consider this: On Monday, KFC rolled out Beyond Meat’s new plant-based chicken nuggets for a short-term test at all 4,000 U.S. shops, boxed not in the traditional red but a tasteful environmental green.

You can get plant-based meats nowadays at Starbucks, Burger King, even White Castle. McDonald’s is reportedly testing its Beyond Meat-based McPlant burger in select US locations. Dozens of fast-food outlets and plenty of local eateries, too, are discovering that there’s a serious market for animal-free “meat.”

Two primary competitors battling for market share are:

Impossible Burger, the innovative plant-based burger that seems so much like the real thing that you can cook it rare and watch it “bleed” a genetically modified soybean protein called leghemoglobin – “heme” for short – that’s a laboratory-built, meat-free cousin to animal hemoglobin.

Beyond Meat, another modern faux-meat product, achieved a near-beef quality via a different route, using pea protein to create a beef-like texture and adding that delicious rare-beef pink thanks to the humble beet.

Plant-based meat starts to boom

In fact, not-meat and not-fish products have been around for generations in the form of tofu, seitan, and early soy-based ersatz meat brands. But the genre has taken one great leap from the near-meat products beloved by hippies and hard-core vegetarians since the 1960s.

But suddenly, within the past few years, the modern plant-based meat industry atarted to boom. Improbably, the fast-food industry was among the first to adopt plant-based meats, perhaps seeing growth potential in vegetarians and vegans who otherwise would never consider darkening their doors. White Castle put a traditional veggie burger on the menu in 2014, and added Impossible four years later.

It didn’t take long for a few local eateries to put Impossible or Beyond burgers, or both, on the menu. The tasty meatless burgers became an alternative not only for vegans but for sometimes-carnivorous flexitarians, Meatless Monday observers, and just about anyone else who likes the idea of a meat alternative. I’m glad to be able to drop in to Six Forks Burger Co., BurgerIM, Burger Girl to enjoy a delicious plant-based burger.

But from a market standpoint, these fine local eateries – let’s support them, please – represent a blip on the spreadsheet compared with the plant-based boom in the fast-food industry over the past few years.

“Plant-based meat has gone mainstream,” Vox writers Matthew Hayek and Jan Dutkiewicz wrote just before the holidays. “The product category did $1.4 billion in sales and grew 27 percent in 2020.”

That’s just a drop in the skillet, Fortune magazine reported last fall: “The global market for plant-based foods could see fivefold growth by 2030,” the business magazine wrote. “Meat and dairy substitutes are marketed as healthier and more sustainable than the products from animals that they aim to replace.”

Beyond vs Impossible

Beyond and Impossible both assert that their products are far better for the environment than traditional meat. Impossible, rocking the slogan “Eat Meat. Save the Planet,” claims that each of its burger uses 87 percent less water, uses 96 percent less land, and emits 89 percent less greenhouse gas than a beef burger. Beyond proclaims similar savings.

Is there anything not to like about this stuff? This depends on what you like. For the record, both burgers are highly processed, and some pure-food advocates fret about that. The Impossible Burger uses more organic ingredients than its competitor; Beyond is non-GMO, a label that Impossible, with its genetically modified heme as its patented ingredient, can’t match. They both claim about 300 calories per burger and 20 grams of protein, and both bring about 400 milligrams of sodium, a hefty portion.

I tried a slider-size sample of each at home. Both were delicious. Both tasted like beef. Both showed pink at the middle. Impossible tasted almost exactly like beef. Beyond showed just a hint of something like bologna lurking behind the good beeflike flavor. Put either one in a dressed burger, taco, or pasta sauce, though, and I challenge anyone to tell them from ground cow.

Our critic makes a fast-food run!

Finally, I hit a few fast-food eateries to check out their tasty meatless meat.

In a #MeatlessMonday special, Starbucks offers $2 off the regular $5.25 tab for their Impossible breakfast sandwich. It features a large, thin, heme-loaded patty set up on a soft ciabatta bun. Beneath it slumps the (optional) Starbucks egg patty, an offbeat invention that looks like a fried egg squashed flat to form two perfectly even yellow and white layers. That wasn’t my favorite thing, but the patty was good. It was firm, with a crumbly sausage-like texture and mild sausage flavor intensely scented with sage.

Another day I hit Qdoba for a taco built with Impossible beefy crumbles ($3.95). It wasn’t bad: The crumbles were beefy, crisp, and saturated with a good, spicy chipotle flavor. I actually gave it the edge over the chain’s grilled beef taco.

I headed over to KFC early on Monday to try a six meatless nugget bucket ($6.99). “Tastes like fried chicken but made from plants,” KFC proudly announced. Of course, everything from rattlesnake to squirrel is said to taste like chicken, so that’s a low bar. They were good, though, clad in what appeared to be KFC’s traditional breading with the Colonel’s secret herbs and spices. A bucket ($6.99) held six two-bite squares. The meat was white, toothy-tender, more dry than juicy, and when I broke one in half along the grain, it looked exactly like chicken white meat. I’d get them again, while this test run lasts.

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/kfc-plant-based

You'll also find this commentary in LEO Weekly online later this week.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: When KFC gets faux chik’n, plant-based meat’s time has c

by Joel F » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:45 am

I haven't tried these at KFC yet but we just tried the nuggets from Raised & Rooted (purchased at Aldi) and they were excellent.

check out the reviews: https://www.raisedandrooted.com/product ... d-nuggets/
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:31 am

I was a vegetarian for about a decade. I returned back to a meat diet a few years ago but have more recently dropped the meat again. So I've experienced about every type of food that can be eaten that does not include meat. I'm glad to see the increase in faux meat choices.

As for KFC, when school is in session I normally spend 3 days per week in Charleston, WV. I went through some fazes when I would eat once a week at a nearby KFC thinking that it was at least somewhat of a meal. I noticed a pattern of systematically having to take Tums each evening before going to bed when I ate at KFC. Normally, I would take a Tums from time to time. But after KFC---always!

It made me wonder about the breading and grease, not to mention the chicken itself. I'll likely try some of the faux chicken when classes begin again next week. But I'm crossing my fingers!
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:37 am

Sending good wishes and digestive healing vibes your way, James!
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:55 am

Robin Garr wrote:Sending good wishes and digestive healing vibes your way, James!

Hum, speaking of vibes, perhaps if I find the proper tibetan bowl frequency, I may be able to eat my KFC in internal (digestive) peace!
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:06 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:26 pm

You clearly had a better experience than this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw8Sw_s2bnc
You can jump to the "meat(non)" of the review at the 7 minute mark. :lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:49 pm

Welp, there's ten minutes of my life that I won't get back. :twisted:

There are so many things I could say, but to be kind, either his local KFC did something really weird in the prep, or else he's faking it.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:08 pm

They look more like real chicken than those porous chicken nuggets at Micky D's.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:44 pm

To be honest, Carla, they taste more like it too. Bite into a whole nugg and they're a little dense (but not like that guy in the video pretended). But tear one along the grain, pull it apart and see how it tears into strands, and you'd think you were eating the real thing.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:02 pm

Any clue what it’s made of? I like cutting back in my meat intake but the meat substitutes (while I really like them) if they are made from mushrooms make me have a really bad allergic reaction.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:52 pm

I wish they would quit calling this and other "Faux" products Meat! They are not meat and never will be. Call them what they are not selling they want to be! To be honest it pushes the margin of being "false advertising" IMHO. :twisted: :roll:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:35 pm

Nah, they're meat. Meat from plants. Why does this bother you so much, Mark?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:17 am

How about cubic zirconia meat? Pleather meat? Micro-fiber meat? :roll:
Faux meat seems pretty clear that it ain't meat.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:31 am

Mark R. wrote:I wish they would quit calling this and other "Faux" products Meat! They are not meat and never will be. Call them what they are not selling they want to be! To be honest it pushes the margin of being "false advertising" IMHO. :twisted: :roll:

Yes.

Meat comes from animals. If you don't want to eat animals for whatever reason, fine. I don't get the need to seek out some jacked up concoction of ingredients that have a tiny resemblance of meat. I've tried a few of the "Beyond" products and find them disgusting. And after reading some of the ingredients on the fake meat products, I'm not sure if they are any healthier anyway.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
Next