Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

Local stations going ape over restaurant inspections

by Steve Magruder » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:03 am

Has anyone else noted the sweeps drive for local stations to find "issues" with local restaurant inspections? WHAS, FOX, and soon WLKY are putting out reports on the subject.

Since restaurant owners congregate here, I am curious to see how they think about the inspection process and whether it's adequate or too harsh or whatever. I think it would be good for the public to understand a key component of what restaurateurs have to go through to stay afloat.

Also, as noted at the link, one reporter tried to get restaurant employees (instead of management) to talk to him. It might be a good idea to inform employees about how to handle press people if/when they make a surprise visit to your premises.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:13 am

I saw one of these stories recently - I'm sorry I can't remember what specific station it was. But I couldn't even really tell what the story was about?!?!

They billed it like it was going to be some big investigative report, but all they really talked about what the fact that the letter on display for a restaurant only represented the most recent inspection the restaurant had gone through - and didn't give any indication of how the restaurant had scored in the past. Um yeah and??? I just didn't get it! I always assumed the letter was for the most recent inspection. I mean how else could they do it??
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:22 am

They must be hard up for news?
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Make Take On It........

by Bill Veneman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:47 am

There is a lot of confusion on the letter grade score that is presented, and what constitutes a violation. Some of them are down right silly (I.E., personal objects left on a food prep area----if the Health Dept. had the man power to inspect all of Louisville's kitchens, then 99.9% of us would fail that one).

Some are very well founded.

But, the well informed, internet savey diner who really want's the "poop" on the latest scores should go out the Health Dept.s web and look up the score. Makes for interesting reading. Opened my eyes on a couple of places I like to go to.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:23 pm

I watched one of these reports a month or so back. It was kinda shameful, a reporter going into mostly, from what I recall, fast food places, grilling whatever random minimum wage paid teenager who happened to be working the register that night. There was more "surprise we have cameras in your face now answer our questions!" than actual investigative journalism. The nature of the event really bugged me.
no avatar
User

Jayson L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:26 am

DownTown

The inspection serves a purpose.

by Jayson L » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:33 pm

The inspection is not easy. and it's incredibly thourough. Although I don't agree with some of the criteria, the sanitarians are very fair. In most cases you have the opportunity to correct problems on the spot before taking the hit in points. Granted, I have more of a fabrication facility than most restaurants in the city, so I may be a little jaded by how long it takes. But I've never been treated unfairly. Trust me, from my experience, "A's" are earned. And I always learn something from the inspection.

The inspection serves a purpose, and it's not put together to show an illusion of safety by local government. We are inspected twice a year.

Honestly, in my "new to Louisville" opinion. Messy kitchens create messy food. A big reason why the food in this "one horse town" is so good, could be from the fact that the local chefs and km's keep great facilities.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:17 pm

They've been doing a lot of the whole "going ape" thing lately. Especially over weather. Remember a few months ago when they preempted several hours of TV over a few thunderstorms? I think Wave 3, especially, took a LOT of heat for that. I guess the meteorologists feel left out, so they take the torch and run with it whenever they can.

I don't know. It seems like news (even local) is just so sensationalized anymore, and many of them ask questions that I would smack them over, such as "What's your reaction to losing your house/son/daughter/beloved family member/friend/pet in the storm/war/car accident/explosion/horrific murder?" I see that and change the station. It's pure exploitation.

Nobody wants to see that, but apparently, they think it makes good news. If, God forbid, I'm ever in that situation, and someone asks me anything like that, I'm going to give them swift kick in the backside. :roll:
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Nobody wants to see that, but apparently, they think it makes good news. If, God forbid, I'm ever in that situation, and someone asks me anything like that, I'm going to give them swift kick in the backside. :roll:[/quote]

Michelle between this quote and your kick boxing tagline, I would guess that some have seen their fair share of your "swift kicks"
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:55 am

Only those who needed one. ;)
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"