Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Eggholic lights up egg dishes with Indian flavors

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:08 am

Eggholic lights up egg dishes with Indian flavors

Ordered mild, egg bhurji still hits your palate with a pleasant warming note. It's Gujarati-style eggs mixed with mild spices and veggies chopped as fine as grains of rice.

Eggs are popular. Most people love them for breakfast, lunch, and even breakfast-for-dinner. So it’s no surprise that egg-centric eateries draw crowds in Louisville. Wild Eggs landed some 15 years ago; Con Huevos brought its Mexican flavors to our world of eggs in 2015.

Now Eggholic has come to town to tantalize us with delicious egg dishes in the style of the Gujurat region of Northwestern India.

A Chicago-based quick-service restaurant just on the cusp of becoming a chain, Eggholic is branching out from its original two Chicagoland locations to open in Columbus, Ohio, and Louisville. More shops are coming soon in Nashville and the Dallas and Washington, D.C., suburbs.

Eggs may sound like a strange ingredient in Indian fare, but Eggholic’s founders Lay Patel and his cousin Bhagyesh loved them when they were growing up iin Gujurat’s largest city, Ahmedabad.“Egg Night” meant a rush for egg-based street food, Patel told the Chicago Reader in a 2019 interview. “Every time we’d go there, we’d try something different,” Patel said.

Having moved to Chicago’s western suburbs with his parents in 2005, when he was a child, Patel quickly grew into a fast-food entrepreneur, opening several Subway shops in the city. But he and his cousin missed Gujurati egg dishes and the street-food carts called laaris that served them.

They opened their first Eggholic shop in 2018 in suburban Schaumburg, Illinois, creating a sort of hybrid between a laari cart and a quick-service Subway stand. They opened their second shop on Chicago’s Halstead Street a year later, and the Columbus operation shortly after that. Now it’s Louisville’s turn, and we’re lucky to be one of the first franchises.

As a matter of strange reality in this shrinking modern world, it may actually be easier to get an Indian egg dish in Louisville right now than it is in Ahmedabad.

According to reports in Al Jazeera and Indian Express, in mid-November authorities ordered the removal of non-vegetarian food stalls from main roads in five Gujarati cities. In the local context, “vegetarian” means what we would call “vegan.” So eggs were outlawed, too, as authorities shut down the laaris to avoid “hurting the religious sentiments of vegetarian Hindus” in the conservative state.

But we’ve got Eggholic, and Eggholic’s got eggs. Do they ever have eggs! ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/eggho ... an-flavors

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Eggholic
1947 S. Hurstbourne Parkway
690-2116
http://theeggholic.com
Facebook: http://bit.ly/EggHolic502

Noise Level: Crowd noise wasn't an issue even with the room filling up at midday, but Indian pop music over the sound system was enjoyable but loud enough to kick the average sound up to 75dB, approaching the level of your vacuum cleaner.

Accessibility: The shopping center room appears to be fully accessible to wheelchair users.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

Re: Eggholic lights up egg dishes with Indian flavors

by BevP » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:27 am

My son and I tried Eggholic a week or so ago . I was truly surprised how much I enjoyed the food, I tried one of the wraps can't remember what my son ordered but I even went back up and ordered something else. We will go back, it is in an area we frequent for shopping, so it is great for us.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:16 pm

Bev, that's turning into a little Indian eats row, with Shreeji right around the corner, which is also quick-service and a favorite of mine) and the Jay Hind Indian grocery next door to Eggholic.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:46 am

Robin , Steve and I tried Shreeji not too long after they opened and Steve was not much for spice unless he had a rice pudding right there. Now I eat out with my son he loves the heat so maybe we will go and give it a try. Jay Hind is one of our regular stops to stock up the cupboard for easy fix dishes.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:27 pm

Bev, I've also found that Shreeji is very good at doing the heat the way you ask. All the way from 1 (just a teeny bit) to 5 (Turbo.) I'm usually happy with 4.

Also, Indian drinks or condiments like a lassi (yogurt drink) or raita (creamy cucumber dip) really help. Dairy is the best antidote ... and yeah, kheer, that creamy rice pudding, that'll do it too. :)