Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Competition for Kroger

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:21 pm

Carla G wrote:
Lonnie Turner wrote:They can open a Publix on every block & it'll be a cold day in hell before we ever give them a nickel.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/dec/09/publix-heiress-julie-fancelli-6-january-rally-financing

+1

:shock:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:08 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:They can open a Publix on every block & it'll be a cold day in hell before we ever give them a nickel.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/dec/09/publix-heiress-julie-fancelli-6-january-rally-financing

It's truly strange that the only source of this information is from a British newspaper? You would think that if this happened it would be all over the US press. Not saying it's not true BUT......
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:46 pm

It was also in the Washington Post yesterday. I'd personally like to know if this person has a significant stake before casting doubt on the chain. It is listed in wikipedia as "employee-owned".
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:59 pm

Her father founded the chain, and she has both the stock the family kept but also a ton of cash. She lives 6 months in Tuscany, and 6 months in Florida each year. She is a major Trump donor, and also a fervent follower of Alex Jones!
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:18 am

I personally don't let the politics of the owner/major stockholder of a company affect whether I buy a company's product or not. I base my purchases on the quality and price of the product/service the company provides. This applies to Chick-fil-A, Publix and many other companies.

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:14 am

Mark R. wrote:I personally don't let the politics of the owner/major stockholder of a company affect whether I buy a company's product or not. I base my purchases on the quality and price of the product/service the company provides. This applies to Chick-fil-A, Publix and many other companies.

That's fine. Some people feel that way. Personally I don't. If a company has political ties or uses any of its monies for the promotion of ideologies that I find repugnant I cut them out. There are other, often smaller, businesses that stay out of the realm of politics or instead, use their monies for community advancement and actually giving back to society. Those are ideals I can get behind. That's where my dollars go. So, for me, no Chick-fil-A, no Hobby Lobby, My Pillow, and now Publix. I shunned Wendy's for years because of their treatment and firing of gay employees until they made that moral u-turn and entered the 21st century. I avoid any Nestles products if there is ANY kind of alternative. I haven't eaten at a A Cracker Barrel for a while now because of their treatment of Afro-Americans. In 2013 I stopped buying Barilla pasta because their founder deemed it necessary to make a public stance against sexual diversity. (Recently I learned that after a corporate wide education program they have changed their stance and their marketing so I will take them off my NO BUY list. It would seem this sort of financial activism works.)

We do what we feel we should do for moral reasons. And you know what? I'm not alone. I vote at the ballot box and I vote with my dollars. I refuse to allow my hard earned dollars to be used to morally corrupt our society any more.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:20 am

+1

Very well said, Carla G.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:51 am

Jimmy R wrote:+1

Very well said, Carla G.

+2 As citizens and as human beings, we have a moral duty to act as our conscience calls us.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:12 pm

Carla G wrote:Personally I don't. If a company has political ties or uses any of its monies for the promotion of ideologies that I find repugnant I cut them out.

I don't disagree with that stance and have similar positions on some of the companies you mentioned, though not others. I personally would like more financial details before deciding. For example, though I didn't boycott Barilla, the person who made the comment is one of four family members who own 85% of the company, a clearly significant stake so I wouldn't argue with anyone who made such a decision. If this "heiress" has a similar stake, then I see.

OTOH, another "heiress" to the fortune, one of seven kids of the Publix founder, died a few days ago and was a different kind of donor https://www.progressivegrocer.com/publixs-carol-jenkins-barnett-passes-away-65. Just something else to balance.

(All that said, I won’t shop there for different reasons: it won't be near me, I'm fine with my current grocery options, and it doesn't seem to bring anything new/better to the market.)
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:43 am

Chickens dont eat at KFC
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:46 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/midwest-grocer ... p_catchall

A popular Iowa-based grocery chain is hoping to drastically expand its footprint, with plans to open a new distribution center and more than 20 stores in new states in the next four years.

Hy-Vee intends to open new stores in Kentucky, Indiana, Tennessee and Alabama, CEO Randy Edeker said in a video obtained by the USA Today Network.

The goal is to have the distribution center — slated for Nashville, Tennessee — and seven new stores opened by 2023, Edeker said in the video.

Four of the new stores are planned for Tennessee, with the other locations including a store in Louisville, Kentucky; Indianapolis, Indiana; and Huntsville, Alabama.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:45 pm

JustinHammond wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/midwest-grocery-chain-hy-vee-161230686.html?src=rss&fr=sycsrp_catchall

A popular Iowa-based grocery chain is hoping to drastically expand its footprint, with plans to open a new distribution center and more than 20 stores in new states in the next four years.

Hy-Vee intends to open new stores in Kentucky, Indiana, Tennessee and Alabama, CEO Randy Edeker said in a video obtained by the USA Today Network.

The goal is to have the distribution center — slated for Nashville, Tennessee — and seven new stores opened by 2023, Edeker said in the video.

Four of the new stores are planned for Tennessee, with the other locations including a store in Louisville, Kentucky; Indianapolis, Indiana; and Huntsville, Alabama.

I saw that on Business 1st this morning also it will be interesting to see where they put their store here in Louisville. With Publix going into the east end with 2 stores I doubt they will go under that area although anything is possible.

no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:00 pm

JustinHammond wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/midwest-grocery-chain-hy-vee-161230686.html?src=rss&fr=sycsrp_catchall

I've never heard of this place and their website is not very helpful. Is anyone familair with Hy-Vee? What would be the best comparison?
James J. Natsis
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:04 am

https://iowacapitaldispatch.com/2020/10 ... al-unrest/

Found this regarding HY-Vee stores. You can draw your own conclusions.

and this...https://www.opensecrets.org/political-a ... mmary/2018

Then there's this...https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice- ... 19-vaccine. (Really? The Justice Department gets involved because even though you're a multi- million dollar entity you cant seem to make Covid and Covid vaccine accessible on your pharmacy website? Huh. Gee.)

Meijers still has my dollars.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:40 am

Carla G wrote:Found this regarding HY-Vee stores. You can draw your own conclusions.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :twisted:
PreviousNext