Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Competition for Kroger

by Mark R. » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:15 pm

Just announced by business 1st:
Publix Super Markets Inc. has announced it has signed a lease for a second store in Kentucky, this one also in Louisville.

It will be located at the northeast corner of Ballardsville and Brownsboro roads, according to a news release.

This is in addition to the one they previously announced which will be at the intersection of Terra Crossing Boulevard and Old Henry Road in Jefferson County.

Here's a link to the complete story in business 1st: https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/ ... 2021-12-07
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Competition for Kroger

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:45 pm

So, both way out in the far Northeast End. Interesting to have two so close and none closer in. Without getting into passport jokes, I wonder what (if anything) their strategy is.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:53 pm

Robin Garr wrote:So, both way out in the far Northeast End. Interesting to have two so close and none closer in. Without getting into passport jokes, I wonder what (if anything) their strategy is.

I was wondering the same thing but by inference in the article I'm guessing they are going to be announcing more in the Louisville area in the net to distant future. Like you I think it strange that these 2 are so close together, I'm guessing you are going to have to get your passport renewed! :D

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:53 pm

I dunno, Mark. My sister and her family live in the Cape Canaveral area and formerly in Merritt Island, and my Mom for her last 20 years lived in North Palm and later Cape Canaveral. So I've been in a lot of Publix, and I just don't see any advantage over Kroger there.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:54 pm

The two stores are slated to open in the 4th quarter 2023, and first quarter 2024 respectively. That seems like a longtime to build a grocery store.

As for locations, it doesn't seem too odd given the demographic and growth trends along that stretch.
James J. Natsis
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:39 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I dunno, Mark. My sister and her family live in the Cape Canaveral area and formerly in Merritt Island, and my Mom for her last 20 years lived in North Palm and later Cape Canaveral. So I've been in a lot of Publix, and I just don't see any advantage over Kroger there.

We've Shopped at Publix a lot when we lived in South Carolina and have relatives and friends that live in Florida and they all say that Publix is just a notch below Wegmans. That's better farther I'm concerned of course getting a Wegmans would be spectacular but I don't think that's going to happen here. I think if nothing else big-name competition coming into town might wake Kroger up a little bit, competition is always good!

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:57 am

Kroger is a union shop, and that's at least a secondary reason for support. I don't know about Publix, but coming from Florida, I'd guess the odds are against it.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:08 am

Robin Garr wrote:Kroger is a union shop, and that's at least a secondary reason for support. I don't know about Publix, but coming from Florida, I'd guess the odds are against it.

As I understand it, Publix is not unionized but is partially employee-owned. However, the principle owners are the Jenkins family. Just a little background on Carol Jenkins Barnett: She bankrolled Trump's January 6 rally.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:44 am

Steve Eslinger wrote:Just a little background on Carol Jenkins Barnett: She bankrolled Trump's January 6 rally.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
no avatar
User

Scott S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:32 am

by Scott S » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:11 pm

I've been to a ton of Publix throughout south Florida, and I'd say they are pretty comparable to Kroger, and they similarly tailor different stores to the demographics of the neighborhoods they are in. So there are some "dirty" Publix and some pretty swanky ones as well.

Wegmans will never happen here, but a boy can dream.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:25 pm

I'm happy then with Meijer's. They've been great during covid.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:00 am

Robin Garr wrote:Kroger is a union shop, and that's at least a secondary reason for support. I don't know about Publix, but coming from Florida, I'd guess the odds are against it.

What difference does whether a grocery store is union or nonunion make? As long as they pay their employees a fair wage and treat them with respect there is absolutely no need employees to be unionized. In general all the union will do is take money out of the employees paychecks to pay union bosses and lobby for various causes.

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:22 am

Mark, we're just going to have to agree to disagree about the importance of unions. :)
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:12 pm

They can open a Publix on every block & it'll be a cold day in hell before we ever give them a nickel.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/dec/09/publix-heiress-julie-fancelli-6-january-rally-financing
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:19 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:They can open a Publix on every block & it'll be a cold day in hell before we ever give them a nickel.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/dec/09/publix-heiress-julie-fancelli-6-january-rally-financing

+1
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Next