Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Competition for Kroger

by Carla G » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:30 am

Well, in all fairness, they were very busy holding those Trump rallies at their grocery store locations.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:45 am

James Natsis wrote:I've never heard of this place and their website is not very helpful. Is anyone familair with Hy-Vee? What would be the best comparison?

I’m not sure, but the CJ had an article about some distinguishing features of it, which it appears to have more of than Publix.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/n ... 967190002/
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:17 pm

Their website shows they also sell shoes so maybe more like a Target?
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:41 pm

Its pretty tough to get excited about a new grocery chain unless they are of the caliber of Whole Foods or of an exceptional offering. If one can't find groceries or prepared food items from the lists below, then we have plenty of restaurants and niche stores to fill most of the gaps.

Grocery Options in Louisville: (I'm sure I've missed a few)

Rainbow Blossom
Whole Foods
Trader Joe's
Fresh Market
Pauls Fruit Market
Aldi
Save a Lot
GFS Market Place
Kroger
ValuMarket
Walmart
Target
Meijer
Costco
Sam's Club
Various ethnic and specialty stores --- bodegas, supermercados, Asian, Indian, African, Middle East, Lotsa Pasta, etc.

Limited groceries:

Menards (I'm not joking)
Dollar General
Walgreens
IGA
And probably a few more
James J. Natsis
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:27 am

And don't forget the local farmers' markets and delivery services.
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:00 pm

I was excited about Publix coming to town, until I saw they were putting both of them practically next door to each other.

For all the good it did, I wrote to corporate and asked them exactly why they're doing this, but I got the standard boilerplate reply. I had even pointed out to them that we have the (now almost abandoned) Southpointe Commons and the new Cedar Creek Crossing a half a mile further south on Bardstown Road. CCC is getting a jump on the mismanagement of Southpointe Commons. They've already announced First Watch and Chipotle are moving in.

Here's hoping we get a good grocery store in Fern Creek as I still think the FC Kroger is a joke. I tend to prefer stores with good delis, and Kroger and Meijer fail big time at most deli offerings.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:46 pm

Terri Beam wrote:I had even pointed out to them that we have the (now almost abandoned) Southpointe Commons and the new Cedar Creek Crossing a half a mile further south on Bardstown Road.

The rumor I've heard is that Publix plans to put a store just south of Cedar Creek Crossing, and BJ's Wholesale Club will be the anchor tenant at Southpointe Commons. I heard this from a guy who lives in Fern Creek and is pretty reliable about stuff like this. BJ's recently announced plans to open a store in suburban Indianapolis, so coming to Louisville seems plausible.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Miserable Working Conditions at Kroger

by JustinHammond » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:27 pm

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:55 pm

Terri Beam wrote:I was excited about Publix coming to town, until I saw they were putting both of them practically next door to each other.

I wondered about that, too. It seems odd, unless the long term plan is to add several more stores in Louisville down the road.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:26 pm

Rich S wrote:
Terri Beam wrote:I had even pointed out to them that we have the (now almost abandoned) Southpointe Commons and the new Cedar Creek Crossing a half a mile further south on Bardstown Road.

The rumor I've heard is that Publix plans to put a store just south of Cedar Creek Crossing, and BJ's Wholesale Club will be the anchor tenant at Southpointe Commons. I heard this from a guy who lives in Fern Creek and is pretty reliable about stuff like this. BJ's recently announced plans to open a store in suburban Indianapolis, so coming to Louisville seems plausible.

Well, the latest reporting states that Hy-Vee has signed on to South Pointe Commons (there isn't really a South Pointe Commons--yet--just empty, ugly, denuded land next to the Snyder exit). If they truly do end up building the store there, it would be quite a boast for that site-----fi...nal......ly.....!!!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:51 pm

I hope some of these chains take a look at Middletown down the road. Empty Lucky's, Walmart grocery and Fresh market spots... Kroger is always packed whenever I go in there. And there is a lot of home construction going on in the area.
Previous