Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Mussel & Burger Bar’s wacky concept seems normal now

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:43 am

Mussel & Burger Bar’s wacky concept seems normal now

A large bowl of 16 mussels meunière comes swimming in a herbal, buttery traditional French white-wine sauce, with Italian-style bread to mop it up.

Early in 2013 when Mussel & Burger Bar opened its first shop in Jeffersontown, I couldn’t help but make fun of this previously unimagined combination. “‘Let’s go get some burgers and mussels,’ said no person ever,” I wrote, chortling.

Now, 8 1/2 years later, Mussel & Burger Bar’s founders have moved on to other ventures, but Mussel & Burger Bar appears to be going strong under new ownership. My recent visit to the J’town operation for lunch with a group of friends satisfied me that it remains just as good as ever.

Showing no inclination to tamper with success, management has maintained the menu with little change over the years, and pricing shows only moderate inflation. The menu-topping C.E.O. burger, an extravaganza of burger with Gruyere, truffle aioli, caramelized onions, and – with an optional $8 upcharge, foie gras – is $25, up only $3 from the 2013 menu.

If that’s too rich for you, the menu offers 14 other burger variations, all (except the seafood burger and the veggie burger) made from 100% Black Angus beef. ... Mussels are fresh from Prince Edward Island in Canada’s Maritime Provinces, and are available in five preparations ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/mussel-burger-bar

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Mussel & Burger Bar
9200 Taylorsville Road
384-4834
http://mussel-burger-bar.com
https://facebook.com/musselburgerbar
Another location: 113 S. 7th St., 749-6451

Noise Level: The noisy crowd at my table probably heightened the decibel level for the entire room, but conversation was never difficult during this late lunch hour.

Accessibility: The room is accessible to wheelchair users, but be aware that the narrow access ramp is several doors to the right of the restaurant entrance.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: Mussel & Burger Bar’s wacky concept seems normal now

by TP Lowe » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:00 am

Odd concept on the surface, indeed. I'm not a fan of their burgers (or any burger, for that matter), but I love the mussels.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:34 am

Their mushroom philly is one of my favorite vegetarian sandwiches in town. Get a side of garlic aoli. Yum!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:04 am

It's a good one, Heather! I thought about getting it but figured a review should feature mussels and, you know, a burger. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:It's a good one, Heather! I thought about getting it but figured a review should feature mussels and, you know, a burger. :mrgreen:

Totally understand! But beets - I'm out. :lol:
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:48 am

Heather L wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:It's a good one, Heather! I thought about getting it but figured a review should feature mussels and, you know, a burger. :mrgreen:

Totally understand! But beets - I'm out. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Their beety burger really doesn't taste like beets, though. I think they just add that to get the red color.