Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Old Tumbleweed Location

by Mark R. » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:39 pm

According to an article published in Business First this morning Pig Beach Barbecue out of NYC is going to move into the old Tumbleweed location on the waterfront.
Here's a link to the Pig Beach Barbecue website: https://www.pigbeachnyc.com/
Here's one to the Business First article: https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/ ... 2021-11-11
Considering they only have 3 locations at this time, 2 in NYC and one in Florida you have to wonder why they are coming to Louisville which already has quite a few barbecue restaurants.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: Old Tumbleweed Location

by TP Lowe » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:49 pm

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:23 pm

Ha! I came here to post that. :)
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:37 pm

I know when I think BBQ, I think NYC...
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:01 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:I know when I think BBQ, I think NYC...

ha! :lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:10 pm

I thought the same thing, but this is 21st century NYC. :twisted:
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:22 pm

I'm not sure, but there aren't too many in that area outside of Feast, which is always crowded. Anyplace that is run well, in that location, certainly has a shot. I walk the bridge a few times a month, always a shame to see that big yellow building vacant, so I'm hoping for the best.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:28 pm

SilvioM wrote:I'm not sure, but there aren't too many in that area outside of Feast, which is always crowded. Anyplace that is run well, in that location, certainly has a shot. I walk the bridge a few times a month, always a shame to see that big yellow building vacant, so I'm hoping for the best.

This pretty much echos my thoughts. I'll just add that bbq is probably a good theme for that location given the warm weather family foot traffic.
James J. Natsis
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:21 am

SilvioM wrote:I'm not sure, but there aren't too many in that area outside of Feast, which is always crowded. Anyplace that is run well, in that location, certainly has a shot. I walk the bridge a few times a month, always a shame to see that big yellow building vacant, so I'm hoping for the best.
River Road BBQ is at Zorn and River road.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:24 am

Don't want to be Debbie Downer here, but with the rents they charge, I don't see this as viable long term. Wish they had included plans for a Food Truck Village or something at the base of the bridge, so at least we could have had some local representation.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:14 pm

Gary Guss wrote: Don't want to be Debbie Downer here, but with the rents they charge, I don't see this as viable long term. Wish they had included plans for a Food Truck Village or something at the base of the bridge, so at least we could have had some local representation.

I thoroughly agree, the other restaurants said they couldn't survive because of the rent for that location. Who actually owns the building? If it's Metro government maybe they lower the rent significantly to attract a new restaurant, otherwise I thoroughly don't see it surviving. Looking at their menu from their other restaurants their prices seem high for barbecue of course it could be different pricing here in Louisville since the rents in NYC are totally ridiculous compared to just ridiculous here!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:10 pm

".....the rents in NYC are totally ridiculous compared to just ridiculous here!"

No doubt. Louisville is a bargain compared to our neighboring cities not to even mention folks coming from NY, CA, FL etc. Besides, the riverfront and surrounding areas have changed a lot as recently as in the last 5 years or so on both sides of the river. Consider the money going into NuLu, Jeffersonville and Butchertown in just the last few years. The building itself is huge and would offer all sorts of revenue streams if utilized properly.

I'm optimistic in that it is the right type of concept for the right place at the right time.
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:27 pm

The funny thing about this property is that the city did invite local firms in - Tumblewood a local shop that grew into a regional chain but remained a Louisville company first, then the Doc Crow's team. I think that's a prime location with virtually a built-in crowd, making a hefty lease payment a reasonable thing to ask in light of the revenue possibilities. It's been my feeling all along that both places pretty much did themselves in. Tumbleweed was already on a downhill slide before the Riverfront branch opened, and Doc Crow's did a startlingly bad job in both the front and back of the house. I got they impression that they thought they could thrive on drink sales and the setting while kissing off food and service, but boy were they wrong.

The Louisville Waterfront Development Corporation is an independent body, by the way, authorized by the state General Assembly but not, as far as I know, under the control of City Hall. By all accounts, they do a good job. I don't think we can pin the blame on them.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:32 am

Gary Guss wrote:Don't want to be Debbie Downer here, but with the rents they charge, I don't see this as viable long term. Wish they had included plans for a Food Truck Village or something at the base of the bridge, so at least we could have had some local representation.

They did that on Friday nights and Sunday mornings over the summer. Hopefully it continues next summer, even with the new restaurant open.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:56 am

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100070363895141

Big Moe's BBQ is almost always operating right under the bridge.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
Next