Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: Old Tumbleweed Location

by SilvioM » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:11 pm

Regarding the rent, I wonder how it compares to a riverfront place like Joe’s Crab Shack. They aren’t exactly considered destination dining, but have been around for awhile (10-15 years?), so they must have found a winning formula for the river.

This new spot doesn’t like like it would compare poorly from a price standpoint (once translated from NYC to LOU), but the menu isn’t nearly as varied as a place like Joe’s, could be a hindrance to the tourists.
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:34 pm

I’ve eaten at Pig Beach in Brooklyn. It was a resounding meh.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:46 am

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:06 pm

We watched the piece on CBS this morning. Interesting story. I hope that they are successful.

The food looked amazing. But since we don't eat meat.....
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:02 pm

Mike D wrote:We watched the piece on CBS this morning. Interesting story. I hope that they are successful.

Making good barbecue is an art and is a combination of skill of the person doing the smoking as well as a smoker itself. It's nearly impossible to create the same barbecue At multiple restaurants in a chain that's why you see very few barbecue chains compared to other types of food. Just because there is one good barbecue restaurant doesn't mean there will be others with the same name that have just as good food. Sure, the sauce, sides, etc. can be re-created but it smoked meat itself really can't be. Places like Mark's, City Barbecue, etc. use commercial smokers and with them you can create decent barbecue but not exceptional barbecue. That's why I figured I doubt that barbecue from this restaurant will be outstanding, the original one may be what replications of probably won't be.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:26 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Mike D wrote:We watched the piece on CBS this morning. Interesting story. I hope that they are successful.

Making good barbecue is an art and is a combination of skill of the person doing the smoking as well as a smoker itself.

Couldn't agree more!

On the other hand, we HAVE seen places that do accomplish the impossible!

You may not like Martin's, for example, but the three Martin's we've been to have been identical! Similarly, the Corky's we've visited are all excellent (a mix of owned and franchisees). Famous Dave's, on the other hand, has some that are spectacular while others are worthless.

It seems to be a question as to how well the location chef(s) is/are trained. The owner or franchisor provides the identical equipment, smoker, and recipe, but it's up to the trained chef to recognize the individual piece of meat and determine what changes must be made due to age, fat content, thickness, any cartilage, whatever, and that takes experience and training that many just don't do.

Given the background of these three owners - and the successes they've had thus far - I have high hopes (although I must admit that my glass is usually half full!).
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:21 pm

At their NYC outlet they have an Impossible Burger and a pulled jackfruit entree.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:44 pm

"Old Tumbleweed Location" still means Mellwood Avenue to me.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:33 pm

Jay M. wrote:"Old Tumbleweed Location" still means Mellwood Avenue to me.

Of course the original old Tumbleweed location was in New Albany in the ... late '70s? Mellwood was the second. 8)
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jay M. » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:54 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jay M. wrote:"Old Tumbleweed Location" still means Mellwood Avenue to me.

Of course the original old Tumbleweed location was in New Albany in the ... late '70s? Mellwood was the second. 8)

You win :D
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:24 pm

The Old Tumbleweed location on Melwood now has Ntaba Coffee as well as Mom's music. I noticed that the other day while driving past.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jay M. » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:39 pm

Ron H wrote:The Old Tumbleweed location on Melwood now has Ntaba Coffee as well as Mom's music. I noticed that the other day while driving past.

Thanks, Ron. I knew Mom’s was in that space but have never heard of Ntaba. Looks like that’s their second location, with the other on Brownsboro. The couple have roots in South Africa and Germany, hence the “Haus” in their name. I should check it out.
Previous