Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

How will restaurants fare in Pandemic Winter II?

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:31 am

I notice that Irish Rover is promoting the return of its outdoor space heaters, and I'm sure they're not alone. What do you think the local restaurant scene is going to look like in the coming winter, with widespread vaccination (even boosted) versus concerns about Delta and other variants to come? Will restaurants set up igloos and heated outdoor spaces again? Or will they count on a recovering public to resume dining in sufficient numbers to make the numbers work?
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

Re: How will restaurants fare in Pandemic Winter II?

by Mike L » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:09 pm

It seems like the biggest concern for restaurants now may be staffing. I don't know what to think of all the different narratives for why this is happening.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:52 am

Mike L wrote:It seems like the biggest concern for restaurants now may be staffing. I don't know what to think of all the different narratives for why this is happening.

Staffing, supply chain issues, and the possibility of reduced winter patronage. It's an ugly trifecta, but no one seems to want to look at it. :(
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:49 am

I think indoor dining will be on the rise until February when the next wave of Corona will be in full swing, if I were a restaurant I would maintain my ability to offer outside dining and curbside pickup.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:52 pm

Gary Guss wrote:I think indoor dining will be on the rise until February when the next wave of Corona will be in full swing, if I were a restaurant I would maintain my ability to offer outside dining and curbside pickup.

I know some restaurants, Texas Roadhouse in particular that are actually expanding and/or modifying their buildings to expand their pickup areas for future business. I really believe that pickup is going to become a bigger business for them for several reasons, staffing and for people looking out for their health.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:48 am

Mark, which Texas Roadhouse is that? Middletown, or are you talking about all of them?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Mark, which Texas Roadhouse is that? Middletown, or are you talking about all of them?

The only one I know of that's making an addition is the one in Middletown, I'm not sure about the others. They are expanding the take-out area and re-creating a seating area for people waiting. I have also changed around deceiving it suitably to allow for more separation between tables. While they are a chain they have a decent steak for a reasonable price, much better than Longhorn in our opinion and they are a local chain.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:13 pm

As a potential customer, I'm a little apprehensive about visiting restaurants right now. We've eaten out a few times over the past few months and had 1 really bad experience, the rest were good. I just worry about having a bad experience and I wouldn't feel comfortable complaining because of what all they've been through the past 2 years.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:15 pm

Mike, I respect that. I would never suggest anyone go beyond their comfort zone to dine out. What I am suggesting, though, is that all of us who love local restaurants do what we can to support them through this coming winter. Dine in if you can. Takeout or curbside if you can't. Order delivery if you must, although the restaurant has to pay a higher toll for that. Buy your adult holiday gift certificates some restaurant gift certs! (They can be good for takeout or curbside, too ... )