Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Simple, delicious American fare at Cheddar Box Too

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:54 am

Simple, delicious American fare at Cheddar Box Too

The cheeseburger was one of the largest I've ever seen, and also one of the best. The fries alongside are exceptional, too.

I don’t guess it comes as a major surprise to disclose that I’m a huge fan of world food. Follow my foodie trail and you’ll usually find me checking out another Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, Mexican, Venezuelan, African or other delicious immigrant-cuisine meal. That goes double during these pandemic-remnant times when simple economics have me looking for good, cheap eats.

But sometimes I’ve just got to have a good old-fashioned American repast like my mother used to make. Or maybe a little better. Sorry, Mom!

So it was this week when I happily eased into a comfy booth at Cheddar Box Too. In case you’ve forgotten, that “Too” signifies that this is the sit-down-and-dine sibling of Cheddar Box deli and specialty-food shop, which sits just a few feet across a parking lot from this free-standing building.

The original Cheddar Box has turned out delicious homemade soups, sandwiches, and desserts to go since 1979. Cheddar Box Too opened about 34 years later, in 2012, after owner Nancy Tarrant finally gave in to a constant, years-long chorus of pleas to open a restaurant.

Cheddar Box Too is a great place for breakfast and lunch, its Facebook page declares, and I agree. It’s open from 8 a.m.-2:30 p.m., seven days a week, in the attractive white building that previously housed Diggs garden shop, and before that, the original home of the St. Matthews branch of Paul’s Fruit Market, which now occupies a larger space nearby.

I like the mood inside, where a huge painted mural depicts the Louisville scene, the riverfront and Belle of Louisville, and homage to Muhammad Ali. On the front of the building, a row of square windows the length of the long, narrow room gives a hint of old-time diner feel. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/cheddar-box-too

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Cheddar Box Too
109 Chenoweth Lane
896-1133
http://cheddarboxtoo.com
https://facebook.com/CheddarBoxToo

Noise Level: This place is popular and gets crowded quickly, ramping up the noise level. Noise levels during our lunch visit averaged 73.7dB – the sound of your television at normal volume – with peaks to 80.2, the roar of your garbage disposal.

Accessibility: The space appears accessible to wheelchair users, but tables are close together and some seating is in booths; the only ramp through a curb surrounding the building is at the far east end of the building.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

Re: Simple, delicious American fare at Cheddar Box Too

by Robin F. » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:12 am

Didn’t Nancy Tarrant sell Cheddar Box Too several years ago? It’s been a couple of years since we’ve been, but it’s always yummy. I think the new owner even attempted, or talked about, opening for dinner at one point.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:13 am

Hmm ... I missed that, Robin, but to their credit, the new owners are doing things exactly like the old owners. :)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:40 am

Not long after II opened I got into the habit of going there with some of the kids I nannied. They were very kid friendly, although , at the time, not specifically set up to accommodate kids. We returned often, always enjoying our meals and the kids leaving happy and well (and healthily) fed.
That might seem like a minor accomplishment to some adults but it genuinely is and one I was grateful for.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson