Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Louisville Restaurant Trip Report

no avatar
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

Louisville Restaurant Trip Report

by TimT » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:10 am

I just returned from Fort Knox to visit a recently discovered family cemetery dating to the early 1800's. If you care to read about it, here is a link to the article written by Jenn DeHaan, the post reporter for the US Army Military magazine. https://www.army.mil/article/251224/cem ... r_60_years
Now for the important stuff. While in Louisville, we dined at the re-opened Decca with chef Andy Myers and had a delicious meal of octopus, shrimp canneloni, marble potatoes and a Mexican chocolate tort. Bar Manager Stacie Stewart created a resurrection Fig cocktail, masterfully made by mixologist April that I will make at home. I was really happy that Decca re-opened and can't wait to return.
Sunday meant lunch at Shirley Mae's on Clay street. This was my first visit and we sampled the chitterlings, fried chicken in lard and a cast iron skillet just like grandma made, pigs feet, turnip greens, pinto beans, sunday dressing and hot water corn bread. I washed mine down with a cold Falls City beer, my first since the 60's and I must say it was a lot better than the original. Shirley's son Warren put up with two old guys while we ate outside and we had a great time talking to all the regulars as they stopped by. Everything was delicious and the chitterlings were the best I have ever tasted.
Next was a visit to Hammerhead's on Swan Street. We began with fried mushrooms and I enjoyed a soft shell crab sandwich while my dining companion had the pork belly sliders. Topped off with herbed garlic fries we were bursting at the seams, but quite satisfied.
Volare was in the mix with a great Pappardella Bosciola somewhere along the way
Finally, our parting dinner was at Anoosh Bistro and the bisque, seabass and banana cream pie were all outstanding. I have to re-create their gorgonzola cream sauce to accompany a toasted baguette at home. They are on top of their game as Robin said a couple months ago.
Wow. I will close by saying I hope all you Hotbyters understand how lucky you are to live where food like this is right around the corner. Best regards to all - Tim
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Louisville Restaurant Trip Report

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:36 am

Glad you enjoyed your visit, Tim. Sounds like you made excellent use of your time!
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:52 am

Wow, what a culinary journey, Tim!

This rendition sounds like an itinerary for an "Urban Culinary Trail" tour. Could this be the genesis of something?
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

by TimT » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:22 pm

This rendition sounds like an itinerary for an "Urban Culinary Trail" tour. Could this be the genesis of something?
James J. Natsis

I also stopped in Owensboro to visit the Bosleys at Moonlite for mutton BBQ on the way to Louisville and stopped in Memphis at Dyers on Beale Street for the best greasy double cheeseburger and to visit Erling Jensen for his dover sole on the way home!
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:17 am

An excellent report on a culinary tour!
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:31 am

Great to hear that Erling is still at it down in Memphis. I remember the La Tourelle days . . .