Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

If you use a third-party delivery service...

by Richard S. » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:08 pm

I occasionally deliver for DoorDash and Uber Eats, and I just wanted to pass along a suggestion for those who use these services: Have the driver mark the order as picked up on their app in view of someone at the restaurant.

Here's why: On the app for these services, a driver is presented with an order. They can accept it or decline it. If they decline, it's then offered to another driver. If they accept, they'll go to the restaurant, pick up the food, and mark it as picked up in the app. At that point they'll be presented with directions to the customer's house.

Before marking the order as picked up, though, drivers can cancel the order and pass it on to another driver. I might do that, for example, if the order was from a fast food place and I get there to see a line at the drive-thru that's 30 cars long. It's not worth waiting an hour for a delivery that might pay $7.

What seems to be happening is that some drivers are pickup up an order and instead of marking it as picked up, they're canceling the order. That driver keeps the food, another driver shows up looking for it, and the customer calls to complain about not having received their order.

I received an order for a restaurant the other day. I just happened to be less than a block away, and when I got there another driver was waiting for a double order. I asked the hostess for mine, and she pointed to the other driver and said "He already picked it up." I asked him if he had my order, and he fumbled with his phone and said, "I had it but they must have taken it away." I'm 100% convinced he canceled the order and intended to keep the food. He just didn't expect another driver to show up before he left.

I've noticed a few restaurants that are asking drivers to mark orders as picked up in view of staff because of this. Others have done away with the pickup shelf where drivers can just come in and grab orders.

Drivers can only cancel so many orders before getting deactivated, but it seems to be a growing problem. I guess there's always some jerk looking to exploit the weakness in any system.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: If you use a third-party delivery service...

by Mark R. » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:03 pm

We use Doordash quite regularly haven't had any problems except... One time I driver picked up in order for us and what I watched his movements on the app he was going in the opposite direction? I called him and he said he had another order to deliver 1st, that's not right or a good thing because we wanted our food hot, not cold. He ended up delivering it almost 30 minutes after the scheduled time and it was stone cold. I called and complained and when Doordash wouldn't do anything but offer us a $10 refund which was totally unacceptable to us so I ended up going through my credit card and disputing the charge and got refund of the entire thing! The driver was also extremely rude so I'm glad he got stiffed!

How would we ensure that the driver marks the food have picked up?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: If you use a third-party delivery service...

by Richard S. » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:00 pm

Two things could have happened there. Some drivers try to run orders from multiple apps at the same time, which is risky and could result in deactivation. Or the DoorDash app could have assigned a double delivery, which happens pretty frequently. Generally they're headed in the same direction, but not always. I'm not a fan of double deliveries. One, DoorDash pays less for the second delivery, and often you pick an order at the first restaurant and end up waiting at the second for an order that's not ready.

What happened in your case was likely out of the driver's control, although there was no reason to be rude about it. You don't see where the order is going until you accept it. And while you will be alerted when a driver has picked up your food, there's no way for you to know a driver canceled the order and stole the food.