Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

Re: What's your favorite restaurant no longer around?

by TimT » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:06 am

I'm going to name a few, beginning with Casa Grisanti for the delicious Italian food and service. My first fine dining experience.
Next is Sixth Avenue where where we enjoyed many group business dinners during their short run
Lastly I have to mention Cafe Metro, a place where, to borrow a phrase "everybody knows your name" and whose pastry chef taught me to make one of her specialties - Mocha Dacquoise. I still make it today about once a year.
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:52 pm

Another one I just remembered, Le Gallo Rosso. I loved their lasagna. I think it was the best I ever had. They also had great desserts. And those cool salads wrapped up in a pickle slice. The atmosphere in that old building was great as well.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:31 am

Once upon a time around 1965 there was an Italian restaurant/cafe/ pizza place called Joe’s Z. It was in Buchel, sat on the corner of Hikes Lane and Bardstown Rd by-pass. They sold carry out spaghetti in what looked like aluminum foil lined shoeboxes. (Not of course but the same size box). Does anybody have a recipe for their sauce or at least remember it enough to know what made it so distinctive? Ive tried every combination of Italian herbs and it’s missing one, distinct flavor I can’t identify.
Anybody?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:46 am

Carla, I remember Joe Z's by name, but from the vantage point of the Highlands where we had Calandrino's and Highland Italian (later Lentini's), Buechel looked like a place you needed a passport to reach. I don't believe we ever went to Z's, sorry. Spaghetti in a box with awesome sauce? That might have been worth a special trip! 8)
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:09 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Carla, I remember Joe Z's by name, but from the vantage point of the Highlands where we had Calandrino's and Highland Italian (later Lentini's), Buechel looked like a place you needed a passport to reach. I don't believe we ever went to Z's, sorry. Spaghetti in a box with awesome sauce? That might have been worth a special trip! 8)

Robin, I grew up in Shively and for us, an infrequent trip to the "East End" to Lentini's or Calandrino's was a big deal. We seldom ventured east of I-65.
no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

by John Lisherness » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:19 pm

La Paloma, Susan Seiller's other great restaurant (the "other" is Jack Fry's).
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:43 pm

I’ll add a deep cut, Othello’s, a restaurant/jazz club on Broadway, maybe at 3rd. I don’t miss the food (which was good) as much as the ambiance, music, and late hours — seemed like a classy oasis to take a date, maybe late 80s/early 90s. A number of places mentioned had good food, but much like the excellent Dietrich’s, Othello’s brought a different vibe to the dining scene.

There was another East Broadway place around that time, about four blocks west of Barrett, that had excellent food, went there a number of times but cannot recall the name.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:38 am

SilvioM wrote:I’ll add a deep cut, Othello’s, a restaurant/jazz club on Broadway, maybe at 3rd. I don’t miss the food (which was good) as much as the ambiance, music, and late hours — seemed like a classy oasis to take a date, maybe late 80s/early 90s. A number of places mentioned had good food, but much like the excellent Dietrich’s, Othello’s brought a different vibe to the dining scene.

I remember that! Did Dean Corbett work there in one of his first gigs? Or am I just making that up?

There was another East Broadway place around that time, about four blocks west of Barrett, that had excellent food, went there a number of times but cannot recall the name.

Timothy's?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:56 am

Hearthstone Tavern. Good music and fondue!
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:57 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Timothy's?

Ah yes that's the one, thanks. Not sure about Chef Dean, but Othello's had (for the time) some unique menu options, so it sounds like his kind of kitchen.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:39 am

SilvioM wrote:I’ll add a deep cut, Othello’s, a restaurant/jazz club on Broadway, maybe at 3rd. I don’t miss the food (which was good) as much as the ambiance, music, and late hours — seemed like a classy oasis to take a date, maybe late 80s/early 90s. A number of places mentioned had good food, but much like the excellent Dietrich’s, Othello’s brought a different vibe to the dining scene.

Wow. What a throw-back. A friend of mine, Phil Bailey (WFPK), booked the bands for Othello's. I remember a concert with New York Voices when I had a long conversation with one of the group's members after their last set. (Sidebar - they way overbuilt the space and couldn't sustain it - I think it closed within a year or so)
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:51 am

Not sure I can narrow it to a favorite, but these are a few that I still miss:

Timothy's
Hasenours
Cafe Metro
Palermo Viejo
Dietrich's
Allo Spiedo
Cunningham's (original)
Bauer's
Old House
Lilly's
Lentini's
Club Grotto
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:43 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:Not sure I can narrow it to a favorite, but these are a few that I still miss:

Timothy's
Hasenours
Cafe Metro
Palermo Viejo
Dietrich's
Allo Spiedo
Cunningham's (original)
Bauer's
Old House
Lilly's
Lentini's
Club Grotto

Excellent list!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:42 pm

New Orleans House.
Hard to believe such a place existed. I forget the the pricing but an all you can eat seafood buffet ( including oysters on the half shell ) ending with your pick of a porterhouse steak or a lobster.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:18 am

I'm amazed it took this long for Hasenour's to get a mention! Y'all must be a bunch o' young-uns! For those too young to have experienced it, it was one of Louisville's early "fine dining" restaurants and it was a favourite of many folks from Chicago that would travel down to Louisville for business. Lots of deep red leather and hand rubbed wood in the bar - - it had a real "grown-up" feel. Best place in town to impress a first date!
Last edited by Willie Myers on Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext