Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Goodfellas Pizzeria

no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

Goodfellas Pizzeria

by Mike L » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:35 am

I've never had their pizza but just wanted to share that it looks like they're planning to open a restaurant in the Highlands:

https://www.wlky.com/article/coming-soo ... n/37690843
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Goodfellas Pizzeria

by Mark R. » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:10 pm

They announced they were coming to Louisville over a year ago but I guess a pandemic slowed him down. Like you I've heard about their people for but never had it but I'm guessing it's no better than some of the locals we have here is we have some pretty great ones. It will be interesting to try however.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:54 pm

I had to run an errand in Lexington last year when places were mainly in the process of reopening. By chance I ended up in the Distillery District and stopped in the Goodfellas to grab a pizza to bring back home with me. It was huge, NY style, and the crust and ingrediants were fresh and tasty.

It looks like they'll have a good size place on Baxter with a creative bar area in the likes of a speakeasy. I look forward to trying their pizza again.
James J. Natsis
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:32 pm

Mike L wrote:I've never had their pizza but just wanted to share that it looks like they're planning to open a restaurant in the Highlands:

https://www.wlky.com/article/coming-soo ... n/37690843

And, for those not inclined to click the link, it’s here in the Highlands:

“...the owner signed a lease at the Baxter — an apartment complex in the Highlands.

Beneath those apartments is retail space. It's currently home to a Carali's Rotisserie Chicken restaurant, and most recently, Hi-Wire Brewing.”

That’s near the the corner of Baxter and Broadway. For those of you of a certain age, it’s in the shadow of the former Phoenix Hill Tavern.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:06 am

Stopped in Goodfellas in Indy on Sat. night for a slice. All the food is in a display case so you can pick your slice. I was expecting the slice to be thrown back in the oven for warming but it was just thrown on 2 paper plates and handed out. I don't know if that is the standard procedure, but the slice needed warmed and crisped up. Other than being room temp the slice was quite tasty. The bread sticks are hilariously large.
Last edited by JustinHammond on Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:24 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Stopped in Goodfellas in Indy on Sat. night for a slice. All the food is in a display case so you can pick your slice. I was expecting the slice to be thrown back in the over for warming but it was just thrown on 2 paper plates and handed out. I don't know if that is the standard procedure, but the slice needed warmed and crisped up. Other than being room temp the slice was quite tasty. The bread sticks are hilariously large.

Good to know. To be honest, I'd probably be crabby enough about a room temp slice that I'd go up and ask them to fix it, but maybe that's just me.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:58 pm

Good to know. To be honest, I'd probably be crabby enough about a room temp slice that I'd go up and ask them to fix it, but maybe that's just me.

It's not just you!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:31 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
JustinHammond wrote:Stopped in Goodfellas in Indy on Sat. night for a slice. All the food is in a display case so you can pick your slice. I was expecting the slice to be thrown back in the over for warming but it was just thrown on 2 paper plates and handed out. I don't know if that is the standard procedure, but the slice needed warmed and crisped up. Other than being room temp the slice was quite tasty. The bread sticks are hilariously large.

I certainly agree!

no avatar
User

Scott S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:32 am

by Scott S » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:30 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Stopped in Goodfellas in Indy on Sat. night for a slice. All the food is in a display case so you can pick your slice. I was expecting the slice to be thrown back in the oven for warming but it was just thrown on 2 paper plates and handed out. I don't know if that is the standard procedure, but the slice needed warmed and crisped up. Other than being room temp the slice was quite tasty. The bread sticks are hilariously large.

That's surprising. I've been to their Cincinnati (OTR) location several times and the pizza has always been excellent (and always reheated in the oven when appropriate). I'm very much looking forward to a Hi Wire/Goodfellas late night combo...
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:55 pm

User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:03 am

Happy New Year! We stopped in an Friday, just after they opened at 5. Word was out that they were finally open, because things picked up pretty quickly. Plenty of well-spaced seating inside, but the night was perfect for sitting out on the patio.

You place your order at the counter (felt like I was back in Queens!!!) and can select individual slices from the case or order whole pies. They had a "Vinny" (white pizza with sausage) in the case, so we started with that. Exactly like a White Pizza from back home!! Creamy ricotta & plenty of garlicy mozzarella. All three of us really enjoyed it. We headed back up for round 2... Hubby had his eye on a "Goodfella" (pepperoni/sausage/ground beef/bacon), but the guy in front of us snagged the last 4 slices :( Instead, he tried "The Boss" (chicken/onion/bacon/ranch) and he quite liked it. My second slice was "The Bootlegger" (spinach/mushroom/sundried tomato/pesto) and it was really good! The slices are traditional NY size, so I tapped out 1/2 way through slice #2. Our mini opted to skip slice #2 and went for a cannoli instead and gave it 2 thumbs up. They have a very cool drink menu, if cocktails are your thing. Hubs had beer & I had wine and we grabbed 2 B&W cookies from the case to go.

Service was great - everyone brought their A-game. Super friendly and kept up nicely with the crazy pace.

Biggest surprise of the night - when we went to settle our tab, the kind gentleman at the bar said $30, please. We were shocked - did not expect soft-opening prices, especially on NYE. Needless to say, we tipped the team well and went on our way, very happy with Louisville's newest pizza place!
no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

by John Lisherness » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:28 pm

Ever since Pappalinos bit the dust, I've been searching for a replacement. Don't get me wrong, there's good pizza to be found in the 'Ville. Coals and Lupo produce excellent Neapolitan style pies, and Jake and Elwoods does a great job at bringing Chicago deep-dish to town (when you order, make sure you ask for the caramelized crust). But I still yearned for that New York style where you curl your slice from outer edge to tip, with a chewy crust, and not overloaded with so many ingredients that you feel like you're eating a flat casserole. I avoid chain restaurants, preferring to support locally owned establishments. Being this way, I was naturally reluctant to even try Goodfella's. I feared the food would be like the name, pretentiously named after the Scorsese mafia flick, after failing to get first dibs on the "Godfather" name for a pizza chain.
The fact that they offered artichokes as a topping and used Fior di-Latte Mozz were good omens.
I was told that our Friday night phoned-in pick-up order would be ready in 40 minutes. I got there at the appointed time and the place was packed. It took 10-15 minutes before it was brought out. The server popped-open the top suggesting I make a visual affirmation that it was what I ordered. I appreciate this in that too many times elsewhere, I have walked away with the wrong order.
Bottom line, it was marvelous. It traveled well (unlike Neapolitans). The cheese was in melted pools that were perfectly gooey and not stringy or rubbery. The crust was as described above, chewy, not foamy with with good flavor. And the star was the pie itself. The toppings were nicely distributed as taste enhancements. Well worth a repeat.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:05 pm

John Lisherness wrote: But I still yearned for that New York style where you curl your slice from outer edge to tip, with a chewy crust, and not overloaded with so many ingredients that you feel like you're eating a flat casserole.

Have you tried "Old-School New York" I'm from New York and at least in my opinion is 1 of the best in town!

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:53 pm

Mark R. wrote:Have you tried "Old-School New York" I'm from New York and at least in my opinion is 1 of the best in town!

Seconded. The owners are from Brooklyn and worked at a family pizzeria there, so they know what they're doing.