Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Gus's Fried Chicken

User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Gus's Fried Chicken

by TP Lowe » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:42 am

Per the CJ, a new "Memphis" fried chicken place coming to South Hurstbourne. I'd link but it might be p/w protected. I'm sure we'll hear more.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Gus's Fried Chicken

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:45 pm

I sure hope it's Gus's! I think they have more balanced flavor than the (possibly more famous) Nashville Prince's and Hattie B's. They don't have the multiple heat levels, but their chicken is definitely spicy without being overly hot.

There is one now in Lexington, so someone may have the Kentucky franchise and looking to expand?
Andrew Mellman
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:41 pm

It is Gus's. The Courier has an article behind the paywall.

Courier Journal
Fried chicken fans get ready! There's a new option coming to town. This will be the second location in the state, after Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken Lexington, KY.

https://www.facebook.com/courierjournal
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:56 pm

I was at Gus’s in Memphis a couple of months ago. It was pretty good, but I thought The Eagle’s was better. Gus’s was soggy by comparison. From at least my one experience, the hype is overblown.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:49 pm

Ray Griffith wrote: From at least my one experience, the hype is overblown.

A glance at the menu sides, desserts and beverages leaves me anything but inspired.
James J. Natsis
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:47 pm

This is the Lexington, KY menu...Seems pretty complete for a fried chicken joint?

STARTERS
Fried Okra
Fried Pickles w/Ranch
Fried Green Tomatoes
INDIVIDUAL PIECES
Breast
Thigh
Tender
Leg
Wing
SIDES
May vary by location

Baked Beans
Potato Salad
Cole Slaw
Fried Okra
Greens
Seasoned Fries
Mac & Cheese
Whole Jalapeno
Ranch Dressing
PLATES
Plates include baked beans, slaw and white bread

2 Piece White – Breast and Wing
3 Piece White – 2 Breast and Wing
3 Piece Wing
2 Piece Dark – Thigh and Leg
3 Piece Dark – 2 Thighs and Leg
3 Tenders
4 Tenders
Half Chicken – 1 of Each Piece
SNACKS
Includes chicken and white bread

2 Piece White
2 Piece Dark
8 Piece
12 Piece
16 Piece
20 Piece
[Make It A Meal With Baked Beans and Slaw Too!]

DESSERTS
Pies – Whole or Slice

Pecan – Chess – Chocolate Chess – Sweet Potato – Old-fashion Coconut
Vanilla Ice Cream
BEVERAGES
Souvenir Cup Available For Purchase Includes Free Refills

Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Dr Pepper
Lemonade
Fanta Orange
Iced Tea – Sweet or Unsweet
IBC Root Beer (no free refills)
Topo Chico (no free refills)
Bottled Water
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:40 am

Jerry C wrote:This is the Lexington, KY menu...Seems pretty complete for a fried chicken joint?

Oh, I'm sure they'll do fine here. And we'll probably see a few more of their franchises pop up around town. And I'm sure their fried chicken is very tasty. I just can't get excited about fried chicken to begin with. Predictable sides such as--what seems to be by the photo--frozen fries, cole slaw, potato salad, coke products and a souvenir cup will not pull me away from our plentiful alternatives.
James J. Natsis
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:46 am

I'll take Indi's all day.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:55 pm

James Natsis wrote:
Jerry C wrote:This is the Lexington, KY menu...Seems pretty complete for a fried chicken joint?

Oh, I'm sure they'll do fine here. And we'll probably see a few more of their franchises pop up around town. And I'm sure their fried chicken is very tasty. I just can't get excited about fried chicken to begin with. Predictable sides such as--what seems to be by the photo--frozen fries, cole slaw, potato salad, coke products and a souvenir cup will not pull me away from our plentiful alternatives.

No idea how they may have changed over the years, but I first ate there in Mason TN over 40 years ago, and in Memphis when the owner's kids took over. At that point the fries were hand made daily (never frozen), the chicken marinated for 24+ hours and was floured and fried by hand, the spicing was great. Ate it in Nashville around 15 years ago and it was as good as ever.

They have a unique flavor profile, with phenomenal spicing but only a moderate (if that) heat level!

There's a reason they've been around since 1973! While the menu looks broad, in fact it's just one style of fried chicken and sides. People keep on coming back . . . (remember, Indi's is 10 years at least newer, and has a bigger menu, while Gus's makes it (and keeps on growing) just offering chicken and sides!)
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:31 pm

I looked over a lot of photos on Google Images and searched their site and other sources to see if there was any mention of home cut fries. I'm sure their chicken is darn good (and it looks darn good!). But those fries look awfully generic to me in the multiple photos from many different locations. The rest of the food doesn't seem all that interesting to me. I may be mistaken in my impressions since I have never been to a Gus's. But if they are making stuff from scratch, besides the chicken, they should be tooting their own horn and presenting images that better reflect it. The beans, cole slaw and potato salad in the included photo look more like something I would get from the Krogers deli section when I need to throw together a quick bbq for out-of-town guests.

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just saying.........
Attachments
Gus.jpg
Gus.jpg (39.79 KiB) Viewed 4343 times
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:54 pm

I haven't been to a Gus's in many years (tho I still miss it), and I wouldn't be totally shocked to find the french fries were frozen. On their web site they do talk about the beans and slaw, however:

"no matter how many Gus’s locations open or how far across the globe they expand, Wendy and the entire Gus’s family remain dedicated to the recipes and traditions originated by the Bonners. Note the slightly sweet beans and slaw served with every meal. Gus and Gertrude perfected these recipes, allowing their slight sweetness to offset the spiciness of the fried chicken. Notice too the slice of white bread that accompanies every plate, a tribute to those original chicken sandwiches Na and Maggie served their clients over 60 years ago. "

I have hopes - just hope they aren't dashed!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:20 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:
I have hopes - just hope they aren't dashed!

I hear ya, Andrew!
James J. Natsis
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:24 pm

Geez, let's wait until they get their doors open and Robin writes a review before speculating too much about the food quality. I didn't start the thread to condemn or promote Gus - just to inform.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:36 pm

I've got to tell you that Gus's probably won't be high on my to-review list, but who knows, I might get there! Meanwhile, I'm eager, too, to hear what the crowd here has to say. Once it's open and all. 8)