Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Kayrouz Cafe does food and safety right

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:04 am

Kayrouz Cafe does food and safety right

A huge 3/4-pound slab of delicious haddock about made a memorable fried-fish sandwich.

Show me a fourth generation family restaurant that traces its heritage back through several locations to the 1920s, and I’ll show you a restaurant that’s doing things right. That would be Kayrouz Cafe, and it should come as no surprise that the current generation is handling Covid safety with style and grace too.

“Our entire kitchen and wait staff have been fully vaccinated," a sheet on the front door assures customers. There’s ample outdoor dining, with a half-dozen patio tables offering a significant boost to the tiny eatery’s interior seating.

The Kayrouz family has been making local diners happy with good, simple but delicious fare for a very long time, back to the original Kayrouz Cafe at Preston and Fehr (now Liberty) streets nearly a century ago. J.P. Kayrouz, the second family generation, operated in St. Matthews for 25 years or so until its building was demolished in 2003 to make way for Wilson & Muir bank.

A third generation opened the current location in 2006 in the tiny St. Matthews building where it still resides, now with a fourth family generation in charge. The food is still freshly made and delicious, the service careful and friendly, and quite a few popular dishes have remained on the menu through the generations.

The menu consists almost entirely of sandwiches (and burgers), soups and salads, and pricing has remained fair, with only reasonable inflationary hikes since my 2006 review. The avocado and mango salad, then $7.85, is just $10 now. The “nova” chicken breast sandwich with avocado, bacon and brie topped the sandwich list then at $8.95, and it’s still the high-end sandwich at $12.75 now. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/kayrouz-cafe

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Kayrouz Cafe
3801 Willis Ave.
896-2630
kayrouzcafe.com
Facebook: bit.ly/KayrouzCafe

Noise Level: The only issue about outdoor dining here is that you're sitting only a few feet from Willis Avenue, with the sounds of passing autos ranging from a purr to a roar.

Accessibility: Wheelchair users might have to maneuver around tables, metal chairs, and concrete parking stops, but you should have a clear path from your car to patio tables or the accessible front door.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Re: Kayrouz Cafe does food and safety right

by MarieP » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:02 pm

Glad you reviewed them again!! Their Hot Brown is also outstanding!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Kayrouz Cafe does food and safety right

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:44 pm

MarieP wrote:Glad you reviewed them again!! Their Hot Brown is also outstanding!

You're welcome, Marie! Funny thing, I hadn't reviewed them since 2006. I guess I just expected them to stay good. :) I did get a small sticker shock from the lunch price for two sandwiches with sides and one salad, and yet it felt worth it.