Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Publix Comes to Louisville

no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Publix Comes to Louisville

by Terri Beam » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:13 pm

https://www.wave3.com/2021/09/07/publix ... lle-store/

Robin, if this doesn't belong on this particular forum, my apologies. I thought it might since they do offer subs and bakery items.

At first I got really excited about the headline. My fiance spent some time in Florida and raves about their key lime pie. I recall them having pretty good subs when I visited in Nashville. But then the whomp whomp hit. They're going to build in the east end, off the Snyder at Old Henry.

I get it. There are a lot of upscale housing developments in that area, but it truly feels like there's some kind of DMZ blocking better restaurants and stores from opening in the Bardstown Road corridor south of the Watterson. I've gone on the Bud Light/fried chicken rant numerous times, and here we go again.

Southpointe Commons is ready for building now (Panera has been open for several months). They just started groundwork for a pretty large retail development right across from Waffle House/Popeye's/Chick-Fil-A, and if it's full of smoke/vape shops and mattress stores, I'm going to lose my mind!

Is there any way to encourage better restaurants and stores to come to the south (or southeast) end? There are people out here with money to spend for good quality, and it gets really old having to drive 30 minutes or more for it. (On the plus side, at least the Snyder will be 6 lanes both ways at least part of the route between Fern Creek and Old Henry by the time Publix opens in late 2023).
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Publix Comes to Louisville

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:33 pm

Terri, that's totally appropriate for this space! No worries at all.

As for Publix, my Mom lived in North Palm Beach for years, and my sister lives in the Cape Canaveral area, so I've been to Publix now and then. I don't do a lot of grocery shopping when we visit, but Publix has always struck me as a Kroger equivalent, decent but nothing extraordinary like a Wegmans. Am I missing something?
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:54 pm

A lot of people talk up their subs. I haven’t had one, so I am not sure if they are actually worth getting excited about or just better than Subway.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:41 pm

Iggy C wrote:A lot of people talk up their subs. I haven’t had one, so I am not sure if they are actually worth getting excited about or just better than Subway.

In that department, I'm happy to go with Valu Market's Cuban!