Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Highland Coffee Closing

no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Highland Coffee Closing

by Alanna H » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:21 am

From their FB page :-(

Dear Highland Coffee friends and family,

It is with much sadness and heavy hearts that we announce the closing of Highland Coffee Company. Our last day of business will be this Thursday, Sept 9th.
To say this has been a gut-wrenching decision would be a huge understatement.
We have overcome many challenges over 22 years, but as the reality has set in that we are facing another COVID winter ahead, we realize this is the decision we need to make, both as a business and personally.

So much of what Highland Coffee has been about is not just about great coffee, but so much more about people, and being able to gather together in a warm and inviting space with friends and neighbors. In the current world conditions that remains limited, becomes much more limited during winter months, and there is little sign of that changing in the near future.

It has been a joy and a privilege beyond what we could’ve ever imagined when we opened Highland Coffee back in 1999, to be a part of our Highlands community and the neighborhood we live in and love. How fortunate we have been to meet so many amazing people who have been a part of our daily lives and supported us all these years. The coffee business gifted us the opportunity to connect with our community like no other type of business would have. You all became so much more than just customers, but truly friends and family.

We have watched many of your children go from babies to college and beyond it seems in the blink of an eye. We will miss our morning chats with you as you head off to work, and we will miss those pup cups with your fur babies, and so much more. Thank you for letting us share in some of the joys and milestones in your lives. We have had many laughs together, and tears together too over the years.
We have been overwhelmed with gratitude for the amazing support you have shown us in challenging times in the past, and that has never been more true than the last 18 months.

To the many amazing employees we have had over the years, we want to sincerely thank you all for being such a big part of making Highland Coffee the special place it has been. We have been inspired by so many of you over the years who have worked with us while striving to achieve your own goals and dreams, and seeing you accomplish them. Then there’s always a little piece of our hearts that has gone with you when it’s time for you to move on. We have also had so many laughs, and tears together too over the years. It has meant so much to us to stay connected and remain friends with so many of you over the years long after your time working with us. So many of you have become like family as well.

A special heartfelt thanks to our current team who all have certainly worked in the most challenging times of HCC, and held up
through it all incredibly well.
It is going to be an emotional few days ahead but we hope you’ll join us these last few days in celebrating all the incredible, fun, and memorable times of Highland Coffee, which was all thanks to each and everyone of you!
So much love and gratitude to you all for the most amazing 22 years at Highland Coffee Company.

Greg and Natalie Hofer
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Highland Coffee Closing

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:35 pm

That is sad. :( I can't say that Highland was right on the beaten path for us, with Blue Dog and Heine's so close, but the times I went to Highland I liked it, and I hate to see it go.
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:45 pm

Well, that leaves Safai for coffee. Quills and Sunergos have an undenied affiliation with churches who lean away from acceptance. So, not for me. Don’t get me started about Heine Bros. Still waiting for a retail shop west of 9th street from them. Starbucks is just a hard no. I don’t like their coffee.

I loved having Highland Coffee as my option. I realize this cancel culture is my own doing but, I feel voting with my dollars is my responsibility as a citizen. HC is good people and I was happy to spend my money there.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:24 am

Alexis Rich wrote:Well, that leaves Safai for coffee. Quills and Sunergos have an undenied affiliation with churches who lean away from acceptance. So, not for me. Don’t get me started about Heine Bros. Still waiting for a retail shop west of 9th street from them. Starbucks is just a hard no. I don’t like their coffee.

I loved having Highland Coffee as my option. I realize this cancel culture is my own doing but, I feel voting with my dollars is my responsibility as a citizen. HC is good people and I was happy to spend my money there.

I LOVE Safai as well, but can also highly recommend Red Hot Roasters. Something has changed with Heine Bros for me honestly. Not sure if it's my taste buds or their coffee. It has a similar taste now to other coffee shops in town that I don't care for honestly.

Used to frequent Highland Coffee a LOT when I lived a block over, going way back to when Demaris was my barista!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:07 am

Heather L wrote:Something has changed with Heine Bros for me honestly. Not sure if it's my taste buds or their coffee. It has a similar taste now to other coffee shops in town that I don't care for honestly.

Used to frequent Highland Coffee a LOT when I lived a block over, going way back to when Demaris was my barista!

Heine Bros. on Frankfort Avenue near Bayly was my home coffee shop from its opening until we moved a couple of years ago; it's gone now. I haven't been for a while, but I would guess that Gary Heine's departure and the Vint merger probably didn't send it in an upward trajectory. Now that branch is gone, I haven't been for years, but sadly it doesn't surprise me to hear that the local mini-chain's coffee quality has gone downhill.

In fairness, though, the still maintain a commitment to fair-trade, organic coffee, or so says the company website:

All of our coffee is 100% organic, purchased directly from small farmer cooperatives through the Fair Trade system, and we roast it in small batches in our roastery in Louisville's Portland neighborhood. At Heine Bros', we stand for friendly and welcoming shops, making a positive impact in our community, and delivering a truly great cup of coffee."
- Mike Mays, co-founder
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:15 pm

No one really ever talks about Day's, but I thought they were fine when I lived close. I'm a big fan of Blackbeard Espresso, but not everyone wants to drive downtown for coffee. I'm also a huge fan of Pregame Coffee, on Main Street near Butchertown Grocery Bakery.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:31 pm

Days is my #2 after Sunergos, a nice, low-key place with friendly people. Please and Thank You is solid, as is Fante’s on Grinstesd and Sister Bean out by Iroquois Amphitheater.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:52 pm

Fantes coffee Lexington Rd and Grinstead is good. Roast their own and Fante has been in the coffee business for many years.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers