Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Cocina de Mama Louisville

no avatar
User

Cynthia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:46 pm

Cocina de Mama Louisville

by Cynthia L » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:58 am

This restaurant was recommended by a friend because the food was fresh .
So on that note we went for lunch. It was indeed fresh !
The mole sauce was outstanding ! Several menu options are available for mole.
This very clean restaurant is behind Walgreens at Westport road and Hurstbourne.
There is also a Cocina de Mama in Shelbyville.
We shall return for more mole !
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Cocina de Mama Louisville

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:04 pm

Thanks for the report, Cynthia! Funny, I went there with a friend once and just as we were seated, there was an LG&E power outage. They had to close, and very regretfully ask everyone to leave. I never did get back, but now I realize it's past time to get there!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:51 pm

Their seafood soup is very good, and the other items are a tad idiosyncratic; even the enchiladas don't necessarily look like everyone else's, but they are all very good! Maybe not as good as El Mariachi down the street, but pretty close. Evidently the chef uses his mother's recipes from "home," and doesn't try to look like everyone else!
Andrew Mellman
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:35 pm

Would love to see some recent reviews. I went about 5 years ago and ordered my standard fajita's for lunch. The most memorable thing was EVERYONE serves a little side dish of condiments (cheese, sour cream, lettuce, pico, etc.)...not at Cocina de Mama...they wanted an extra $1 for each item! I never went back.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:48 am

Jerry C wrote:Would love to see some recent reviews. I went about 5 years ago and ordered my standard fajita's for lunch. The most memorable thing was EVERYONE serves a little side dish of condiments (cheese, sour cream, lettuce, pico, etc.)...not at Cocina de Mama...they wanted an extra $1 for each item! I never went back.

I have never ordered the fajitas there, but the menu says, "garnished with lettuce, pico, sour cream, guacamole, and tortillas."

Wonder if either you had a bad server, or they charged when they first opened and (with customer complaints) dropped the charges on those items?
Andrew Mellman
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:15 am

Wonder if either you had a bad server, or they charged when they first opened and (with customer complaints) dropped the charges on those items?

Or maybe it was because it was the lunch "special pricing" and they were bound and determined to get blood out of me?!
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:22 am

Jerry C wrote:

Or maybe it was because it was the lunch "special pricing" and they were bound and determined to get blood out of me?!

I read somewhere a while back that they don't automatically serve all the fixins with the lunch fajitas. I think they'd be wise to charge a little more and include them because the omission/upcharge has turned people off.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:34 pm

the omission/upcharge has turned people off.

+1
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:02 pm

We haven't been there post pandemic but prior to that we used to go quite regularly especially for lunch. My wife used to get the fajitas most of the time and they were always served with the side items that you usually get. Maybe they changed the policy sometime after complaints?

We certainly do agree that it's 1 of the best Tex-Mex restaurants in town, not truly authentic but definitely what most people locally expect, restaurant of that type. The food is always good and fresh and a staff is very accommodating.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"