Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Louisville Visit Summary

User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

Louisville Visit Summary

by TimT » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:04 am

Proceed to bottom post...

We returning "home" for a visit over the Labor Day weekend and I need a recommendation. We are dining at La Bodeguita and Seviche while there, but are searching for a Friday night venue.

If a visitor were asking where they should go for their first and only visit to Louisville, where would you send them now? So many of our old faves are closed. There would be 4 of us and would like a place that's not shoulder to shoulder crowded.

Thanks!
Last edited by TimT on Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Restaurant Suggestions

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:29 am

I would have said Seviche, but you've got that covered. However, Anoosh Bistro is at the top of its game these days, and so is Volare. Probably either of those two would serve you well.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:30 am

We really liked Everyday Kitchen in Nulu. We were there for a special brunch, but our table mates had already been there twice for dinner and were coming back with out of town guests the following weekend. It’s the chef from Proof, Mike Wadja. Good energy too.
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:03 pm

I'm partial to my neighborhood Frankfort Avenue spots so I'll say Volare or Fork and Barrel.

We had not been to Fork and Barrel until recently and, I've gotta say, it was pretty special. Very well-made cocktails, great food and impeccable service.
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:51 pm

Jack Fry's, Jeff Ruby's.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:45 am

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:32 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Huge fan of Red Hog.

http://www.redhogartisanmeat.com/menu

I had a *fantastic* BLT there last week. Definitely a great spot.
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

West of the Mississippi

by TimT » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:56 am

Thank you for the suggestions. We made rezzies at Volare which is a long time favorite.

Thanks Robin for reminding me about Anoosh. We dined there in their first year and it deserves another visit for sure. The current menu looks amazing.

Thank you Justin, Robin F. and Mike D to let me know about Red Hog, Everyday Kitchen and Fork and Barrel which I have added to my must-try list

Last but not least, thank you Mike L for reminding me it's been too long since visiting Jack Fry's and Jeff Ruby.
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:54 pm

Volare' is absolutely our favorite in Louisville. Enjoy! (unless the date has already passed; I did not pay attention to the dates)

The bar in Volare' is something we had never been into before, but last time we went for an after dinner cocktail, and noticed that the bar menu also looked fun. (Just something to consider sometime if you're not up to a big Italian dinner.)
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:44 pm

Christina Firriolo wrote:Volare' is absolutely our favorite in Louisville. Enjoy! (unless the date has already passed; I did not pay attention to the dates)

The bar in Volare' is something we had never been into before, but last time we went for an after dinner cocktail, and noticed that the bar menu also looked fun. (Just something to consider sometime if you're not up to a big Italian dinner.)

In addition to good, chef-driven Italian, it's also become a top local place for fish. Follow Chef Josh Moore on Instagram and you'll see him holding up the catch of the day every day, with information on the species, the name of the boat that caught it and the captain's name. We're talking seriously wild-caught fish here.

https://instagram.com/joshuadmoore
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

West of the Mississippi

by TimT » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:02 pm

I returned from our trip to Louisville heavier, but happier. I geeked out like a tourist while visiting family and friends.
Dinners at La Bodeguita (Crispy Pork and Chocolate Cigar ), Seviche (Halibut, Tuna Tartare and Avocado Ice Cream) and Volare (Veal Osso Buco and Calamari) were all terrific, but our most memorable meal was at Star Hill Provisions. Chef AuCo Lai, a graduate of the Ed Lee Initiative prepared cocktails and three course meal for the four of us.
Raspberry Lemonade with Hyssop Mocktail
Maker's and Ale-8 Slushie
-
Heirloom Tomato Salad with Burrata, Balsamic Reduction, Basil Oil, and JQ Dickinson Salt
-
Skillet Charred Cabbage and Fresh Gemelli, Madhouse Corn Vinegar, Row7 Garlic Leeks, Parmagania
-
Star Hill Pasture Grazed, Distiller's Syrup finished Wagyu ribeye with Pumpkin and Sunflower Seed Bourbon glaze
-
Chess Pie Mille Feuille, Bourbon Demarara Chantilly, Toasted Cocoa Nibs)

It was fun visiting old family homesteads that are now part of the farm and surrounding areas and, I have the memory of pushing Bill in the electric cart up and out of the woods he drove us down into. Star Hill Farm and the distillery sure have changed.

We also visited Gold Bar and Bar Expo for the first time. Try one of Evon's After the Goldrush cocktails and you can't live without Bar Expos Acid Cat with a buzz button while enjoying the company of Ryan, Cal and Li'l Meggs.
Can't wait to come back. It's just like going home. Wait... it is "home".